CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1176178
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:32:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandon
National Grid Reference:
TL 32237 34526

Details

SANDON CHURCH END TL 33 SW (East side) Sandon 7/51 Church of All Saints 27.5.68 GV 1 Parish church. Chancel rebuilt following contract between Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's and T. Rykelyng, stone mason, dated 1348. Nave and aisles rebuilt later C14. W tower and S porch early C15. Tower buttressed C17. Restored 1832 and in 1875 by E. Christian. Tower and S porch restored 1908-9. Flint rubble, some knapped. Stone dressings. Red brick tower buttresses. Leaded nave and aisle roofs. Tiled chancel roof. Chancel: restored 3 light E window, pointed arched traceried head, hood mould. Plinth, string course at sill level. Steeply pitched roof. Diagonal buttresses. To S: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched panel traceried heads, hood moulds, that to E is shorter, separate string courses at sills, intermediate buttress. To N: 2 similar windows flank a C19 inserted arch, now blocked. Longer and wider nave has a shallow pitched roof, coped parapet to E with a ridge cross. Clerestorey has 2 small C15 2 light square headed windows at E end, formerly lighting rood loft. N aisle: two 2 light C14 windows with pointed arched hexafoil traceried heads, to right of centre a door with triple moulded pointed arched surround, mask stopped hood moulds, to left of a central buttress a large 2 light C19 square headed window, end buttresses, coped parapet. E end of N aisle, C19 3 light square headed window. S aisle: flanking porch are 2 large C19 3 light windows with 4 centred arched heads, that to left with a traceried head, end buttresses. S aisle E end: C14 window, 3 ogee headed lights, curvilinear tracery in an almost round arched head. Large S porch: 2 centred head to moulded outer arch with semi-octagonal responds with caps and bases, diagonal buttresses, shallow gable, coped parapet. Returns have 2 light windows, cinquefoiled lights in square heads with hood moulds. Inner entrance is a moulded pointed arch with hood mould. W tower, 3 stages, orginally unbuttressed, each stage slightly set back from the lower. Moulded plinth, C19 W entrance, pointed arch in square surround, tall C19 2 light window above with pointed arched head. 4 raking angle buttresses up to 2nd stage. 2nd stage to S has a trefoil headed lancet, clock to W. Belfry, 2 light openings with pointed arched hexafoiled heads. cornice to plain coped parapet. Low pyramidal roof, weathervane finial. Interior: 2 centred chancel arch, 2 hollow moulded orders to semi-octagonal responds with caps and bases. Taller 4 centred tower arch, 2 hollow moulded and outer quirked wave moulded orders, half column responds with moulded caps and bases. 4 bay nave arcades, pointed arches, double chamfered with broach stops over piers, hood moulds with small carved masks to S, octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Nave and aisle roofs rebuilt re-using some old tie beams. In N aisle to W is a moulded principal with an early boss. 4 bay chancel roof has cambered tie beams with crown posts with 2 way curved braces, ceiled in C19 above wall and crown plates. Chancel N wall: C14 Easter sepulchre, depressed arched head, moulded surround with crocketed ogee finials, floral ornament. Chancel S wall: ogee headed piscina and a triple ogee headed crocketed and cusped sedilia, probably reset. S aisle S wall at E end, a piscina with a cusped pointed arched head with credence shelf. N aisle N wall at E end, a concave recess for an image, opposite on SE wall another piscina with a cinquefoiled head and a hood mould. Good early C17 pulpit at NE corner of nave, octagonal, richly carved with brackets to reading board. C15 chancel screen, 5 bays, that to centre open, dado with cusped panels, moulded base, cusped ogee heads to open upper sections with panel tracery and crocketing above. Font in S aisle has C14 or C15 octagonal stem with 4 octagonal outer shafts with simply moulded caps and bases, C19 or early C20 bowl. At W end of nave are ten C15 benches with poppy head finials to ends, original seats, panelled backs with moulded rails at heads. Monuments: brass figures in nave floor at E end, J. Fitz-Geffrey, d.1480, in armour with wife, children and shields. Chancel S wall: marble cartouche to E. Nicholas d.1683, alabaster epitaph to E. Moryson, d.1626, with term figures in jambs and carved surround. S aisle wall W end: aedicule to N.F. Miller, d.1747, possibly by H. Cheere, various marbles with a bust in a recess, flanking seraphs, cartouche of arms in pedimented head with urn finial, epitaph below. Floor slab in nave to E. Nicholas, d.1683, with relief arms. Fragments of medieval glass at heads of N aisle windows and S aisle E window. The 1348 contract specifies the number of lights for each window, buttresses and a priest's door and allows payment of 20 marks and the stone of the chancel. (Kelly's Directory 1899: East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol. III, pt. V, 1905, p.42: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3223734526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162374
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 3, (1905), 42
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1899)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].