CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176241
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176241.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:01:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Tellisford
National Grid Reference:
ST 79020 54045

Details

ST75SE TELLISFORD CP WOOLVERTON

4/498 Church of St. Lawrence

11.3.68

GV II

Church. C14 and early C15, restored in C19. Coursed rough faced Doulting stone and plain clay tile roofs with coped gables, finials and crosses. West Tower, Nave with South Porch and Chancel. Tower in 3 stages and 2 stage octagonal spire with finial and weather vane. Quatrefoil cusped openings on 4 sides, now blocked. 2-light windows to bell-chamber, blocked on East side. Battlemented parapet. To West of Tower, a vestibule with diagonal corner buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Nave, two 2-light windows and central South porch with diagonal corner buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Three, 2-light windows on North side. Chancel, single 2-light window rebuilt 1888/9. Early English cusped tracery under cusped arches with drip moulds. Interior: South Porch has pointed stone vault with 3 ribs on carved corbels and pointed arch to entrance, door vertical boarded with "Y" framework. Nave: barrel roof with 3-tie beams, plaster ceiling has been removed. Chancel arch said to be C13, pine boarded and panelled ceiling to Chancel. Perpendicular style font. C17 chairs, stools and altar table. Memorials include Thomas Wooley 1835, Thomas Meade 1845. External: On South East quoin stone to Nave, 3 inscribed dials; and on South East quoin to Chancel, inscribed in fine lettering "BM 212 FEET ABOVE THE SEA'.

Listing NGR: ST7902054045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08333/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].