CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1176263
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176263.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:52:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Stawley
National Grid Reference:
ST0782222336

Details

ST02SE STAWLEY CP KITTISFORD

6/32 Church of St Nicholas

25.1.56

GV II*

Church. Circa 1500 mid C17 addition, restored 1875. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered tower, C19 tiled roofs. 3-bay nave with chapel continuing from South aisle, South porch, West tower, C17 North projection. 3-stage tower, crenellated parapet, setback buttresses without render, Tudor arch doorway with 3-light window above, reticulated like East window. South window 3-light square headed with Tudor arch heads. Gabled C19 porch giving access to West door of South aisle Annex on North side rated externally 1659 above blocked doorway with gothic survival 2-light trefoil headed, ovolo moulded windows. Interior: plastered. Major feature 2-bay wooden arcade, restored C19, with Tudor arches. Wide semi-circular entry into North projection with moulded arch. Priests door to North, piscina in South chapel and 2 brasses to Richard and Agnes Bluett, farmer died 1524, minus their epitaphs. Wooden pulpit dated 1616. Perpendicular pedestal font. C17 door. Roger Wood of Overtown, Kittisford in his will of 3 September 1657 left 200 pounds to build a new aisle in the church, hence the North annex. (Thorne, The History of Antiquities of the Villages of Somerset, 1950).

Listing NGR: ST0782222336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270107
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thorne, , The History of Antiquities of the Villages of Somerset, (1950)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15356/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].