CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176366
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176366.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:17:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Llanfair Waterdine
National Grid Reference:
SO2402376312

Details

LLANFAIR WATERDINE C.P. SO 27 NW 8/219

LLANFAIR WATERDINE

Church of St Mary

21.3.68

GV

II

Parish church. 1854 on earlier site, by T. Nicholson. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Four bay nave, three bay north aisle, integral north-west tower, south porch, two bay chancel, and north vestry; C14 Gothic style. Plinth; buttresses, diagonal at corners; verge parapets.

Tower: Two stages; string course to battlemented octagonal top stage with ogee-headed bell chamber openings.

Nave: windows with two trefoil-headed lights and returned hoodmoulds; moulded arched doorway in second bay from left with boarded door; gabled porch with chamfered arch, boarded doors, inscribed: "DOMINUS CUSTODET INTROITUM TUUM" above, and side benches within; west window with two trefoil-headed lights and Y-tracery.

North aisle: paired ogee-headed lights.

Chancel: ogee-headed lancets with returned hoodmoulds; east window with three trefoiled ogee-headed lights, trefoiled tracery, and returned hoodmould.

Interior: single framed roofs with braced collars and crested wall plates; four bay north aisle arcade with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, and double chamfered arches; double chamfered chancel arch, dying into responds; C19 octagonal stone font with wooden cover; communion rails made up from parts of late mediaeval screen carved with foliage including vines and grapes, figures, lions, dragons, and inscription; pews with the names of farms in the parish painted on; circa 1620 communion table.

The former spire was demolished in 1975.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 November 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257312
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 445-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 170

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15882/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].