CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176489
Date first listed:
27-May-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:21:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ellesmere Rural
National Grid Reference:
SJ 34604 38432

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. DUDLESTON SJ 33 NW 3/110 Church of St Mary - 27.5.53 GV II Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. Medieval fabric enlarged 1819, chancel rebuilt 1877 and whole extensively restored 1884-90. Uncoursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs with coped verges (several stepped) and ornamental cresting. Nave; south aisle and transept; north aisle and transept; west tower; chancel and north vestry/organ chamber. Tower. 1819 in 2 stages with diagonal buttresses to bottom stage at north-west and south-west corners. 4-centred 3-light window with spheric triangles to heads to first stage on west above 4-centred doorway with label. Octagonal top stage, rendered to resemble ashlar, has trefoil-headed rectangular louvred openings to cardinal faces. 4 slender buttresses with crocketed finials. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with pyramidal slate cap surmounted by ball finial with weathervane. South aisle. Buttressed in 4 bays has 3 square-headed Perpendicular- style 2-light windows of 1819 to west bays and square-headed doorway with 4-centred arch to narrower east bay. Perpendicular-style 2-light window of 1819 with 4-centred head to west wall and identical window to south wall of transept. This is earlier than aisle, with alternating angle quoins, but of uncertain date. North aisle and transept: identical fenestration to south and transept again earlier than aisle. Chancel. 1877 in memory of Georgiana Fleming Morall incorporating earlier short sanctuary (see straight joint on south side). South side has paired cusped lancets with elongated quatrefoil above. Stepped cill band and chamfered plinth continued to east wall, which has stepped angle buttresses and pointed window of 3 broad cinquefoil-headed lights with trefoils flanking head of centre light. Head-stops to hoodmould and foliated cross to gable. North side has paired cusped lancets with quatrefoil above. Organ chamber has square-headed 2-light cusped window to east wall: vestry, projecting at right-angles, has 4-centred window with 2 cusped lights and spheric triangle above; doorway in west wall. Interior. Principal feature is late C15 arch-braced collar beam roof in 6 bays to nave with cusped struts, to cusped principal rafters forming quatrefoil and trefoil patterns; 2 tiers of purlins and cusped windbraces. 5-bay nave arcades of 1888 have octagonal piers with pointed double-chamfered arches. Pointed doorway with 4-centred window above in infilled narrow segmental-headed arch also late C19. Late C19 pointed chancel arch with contemporary low stone screen and scissor-braced roof. Late C19 piscina and sedile and pointed single-chamfered doorway from north transept to vestry. Fittings and furnishings including benches, choir stalls, encaustic tiles in chancel and pulpit made up from Jacobean panelling, all late C19 except panelled octagonal font (1826) and medieval oak dug-out chest at west end of nave. Stained glass: painted armorial glass of 1819 in window above doorway to tower and mixed with early C20 glass in aisles and transepts. East window (1894) by Kempe in memory of Cicely Caroline Mary Chapman (died 1893). Monuments. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets and memorials to local families in chancel and aisle and 2 small brass plates of 1756 and 1763 on east wall of south transept. Late C18 hatchment on south wall of south transept and late C18 royal coat-of-arms over west doorway. Early C19 benefactors' boards in tower. Dudleston was formerly a dependent chapelry of Ellesmere. B.O.E. p. 123; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 783-4; appendix, p. 990.

Listing NGR: SJ3460438432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260810
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 783-4
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 990
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 123

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10015/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].