This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176781



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160838

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PISHIOBURY DRIVE 1. 5253 (East End) Stable Block on S side of upper courtyard at Pishiobury Park TL 480 133:6/31 6.6.52 II* GV 2. Late C16, probably 1580-90 as stables to brick courtyard house of Sir Walter Mildmay to N. Very long old red brick stable block parallel to house but set across the slope with access from upper courtyard to N. 2 storeys with plinth, projecting band of 3 courses about 1st floor level rising to a blunt point over each Gd floor window. Projecting eaves courses with top course carried on alternate projecting headers. Gable parapet with axed brick corbelled kneelers. Brick on edge raking coping to gable parapet at W end but half round coping over tile course at E end. Steep pitched roof covered in concrete tiles with C18 central wooden cupola. Original 1st floor window on N side is 2 light ovolo moulded timber mullioned window recessed 1" from outer face. Window spacing disregards that of roof principals. Single storey C17/C18 brick extension on E end with hipped queen strut roof. W gable shows blocked window opening central on 1st floor with small blind circular recess above. Inserted gable chimneys. All the floor beams are concealed by later casing. In W part, a wide straight staircase mounts to 1st floor and the original roof structure has corresponding close set trusses over. The 1st floor was originally open to the splendid roof of oak ogee arched braced trusses with upper collars, butt purlins, strainer purlins at half bay spans and flat laid rafters tenoned into the single purlin on each slope. The roof shows evidence of being plastered up the slopes and under the main collars. The roof is designed to carry a central louvre or fl├Ęche in the position of the C18 cupola. A ceiling has been inserted with chamfered and ogee stopped cross-beams presumably C17. Short rear C18 red brick extension as coach house under 3 parallel hipped slate roofs. C18 mounting block near end of N side with 3 Portland stone steps up to landing. C18 central cupola in 3 stages. Base of slate hanging in white wooden surround topped by broad cove painted white. Middle stage square with corner pilasters and full entablature. Large clock faces to N, E and W, blank black area on S. Upper stage a circular lantern with 6 free standing Doric columns having square abaci supporting a dentilled entablature and low lead covered dome. A large bronze bell is hung from the underside of the dome. A graceful centre piece to a remarkable building. The original usage seems to have been stabling on the Gd floor with lodgings on the 1st floor in 2 large dormitories with superior accommodation at each end beyond a staircase. Attached to the NW corner of the stable block and running N is the high red brick screen wall to the upper courtyard with a gateway flanked by piers. Wall in irregular header bond possibly contemporary with stable block. Gate piers probably C18 with projecting plinth and gate rebate inside. White stone ball finials on elaborate square moulded caps. The building is the principal survivor of the 1580-90 building period at Pishiobury and retains much of its original construction, design and character. (RCHM (1911) 203-4: Pevsner 2nd Rev Ed (1977) 271).

Listing NGR: TL4803513379

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 48035 13379


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 12:35:52.

End of official listing