THE STABLE BLOCK
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- THE STABLE BLOCK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176848 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 08:38:56.
- Statutory Address:
- THE STABLE BLOCK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 54814 10037
SJ 51 SW and
SJ 50 NW ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK
3/33 and 5/33 The Stable Block (formerly 29.1.52 listed as Attingham Park Stables)
Stables, now offices and stores. Circa 1785, by George Steuart for the first Lord Berwick. Red brick with grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar dressings, and facing to south. Square courtyard plan with projecting pyramidal-roofed corner pavilions. One storey and loft and 2 storeys. Glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads, some replaced by late C20 imitations. South front: 9 bays; 1:3:1:3:1 rhythm. Plinth; impost band to blind-arched arcading, frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Glazing bar sashes with blind lunettes above. Each end pavilion with plinth, corner piers, first- floor cill string, frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Projecting central pavilion with plinth, moulded impost band to central blocked round carriage-arch, and flanking paired Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze, moulded cornice, and interrupted balustraded parapet. Courtyard elevation of 9 bays, 3:3:3 rhythm; central pavilion with blocked carriage arch and inserted 6 flush-panelled door with radial fanlight. East front: end pavilions with recessed blind round arches and glazing bar sashes with radial lunettes above impost band. Central 7-bay entrance and coach house block, 2:1:1:1:2 rhythm; frieze, moulded cornice, blocking course, and hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks and 2 end stacks, central 3-bay projection with blind round arches flanking central break which has round carriage arch with blind tympanum and pair of gates, and triangular pediment above. Courtyard elevation of 17 bays, 4:4:1:4:4 rhythm; central 9-bay block has round-arched arcaded ground floor with pairs of panelled coach-house doors and recessed blind tympana; central break has round carriage-arch with blind tympanum, and triangular pediment above. West front: 15 bays, 1:6:1:6:1; plinth, impost band and moulded eaves cornice; blind round- arched arcading. Central pavilion with plinth, stepped end-piers, moulded string course, frieze, moulded cornice, and coped parapet with balustraded centre; boarded door. Courtyard elevation of 9:1:9 bays; central projection has pair of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight, flanking wide pilaster strips, and triangular pediment. North range; courtyard front: 5:1:5 bays; centrepiece with plinth, moulded impost band, and paired Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze and triangular pediment; central pair of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight. Interior: north and west ranges still retain C18 stalls and have flush-panelled dividers with ogee- curved tops and end posts with banded urn-finials, boarded back wall with arcaded mangers and name panels, brick floors and plaster ceilings with dentil cornices. Some former blind windows including those in the south front have been opened in the late C20. The stables were designed for 60 horses. H. Avary Tipping, Attingham, CL, Vol.XLIX (Feb. 5th 1921), p.163.
Listing NGR: SJ5481410037
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 February, (1921)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing