This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176915



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Atcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/43 Cronkhill 29.1.52


House. 1802, by John Nash, incorporating smaller C17 and C18 house. Stuccoed brick lined as ashlar with grey sandstone dressings; hipped slate roofs. Italianate style; rectangular plan with circular tower to north- east and square tower to south-west. 2 storeys with 3-storey towers. Plinth, deep eaves with paired brackets; integral brick stacks to towers. Glazing bar sashes, round-arched to first floor. Central block of 2 bays with one bay returning to left; first-floor arched window and 3 ground- floor 15-pane sashes to front; round-arched loggia of 6 x 4 bays on 2 steps with chamfered square piers, moulded dentil cornice, and balustraded parapet. Tower to right with 3 round-arched ground-floor windows to front, and in first floor to front and right; string to second floor with oeils- de-boeuf at front and back and blind oeil-de-boeuf to right, and pyramidal roof with globe finial and weathervane. Right-hand return front: 2 bays; projecting ground floor with moulded dentil cornice to balustraded parapet; recessed arched niche to left with Roman (?) amphora; depressed arch to right to porch with groin vault springing from moulded imposts, niches to left and right, and 4 flush-panelled door (top panels glazed) with flush-panelled side-lights, moulded architrave and cornice, and depressed-arched fanlight. South-west tower with ground-floor 15-pane sash, first-floor round-arched glazing bar sash, and second-floor 8-pane sash. 2 round-arched sashes at rear. Service wing to south: C17 with C18 wing at rear and circa 1802 refacing to east. Timber framed, extended in red brick to west and refaced and eaves raised to east; slate roofs. T-plan. 2 storeys and 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. Central brick ridge stack and external brick end stack to wing. Framing: square panels, 5 from sole- plate to wall-plate; short straight corner braces. East front: 5 bays; round-arched glazing bar sashes. Rear wing: south front: first-floor glazing bar sash; 2 ground-floor segmental-headed glazing bar sashes (that to right partly blocked) flanking central segmental-headed 6-panelled door. Earlier photographs of the house show painted imitation oeils-de-boeuf windows to the top storey of the tower, now painted over. Interior not inspected, but known to be of interest; despite the tower there are no circular rooms within except at the top. Cronkhill was built for Francis Walford, Lord Berwick's estate agent at Attingham, whose monument stands in Atcham churchyard (q.v.). The design was exhibited at the RA in 1802 as a "Villa in Shropshire". Its importance is as the first Italianate villa and the progenitor of much C19 house building, and also its place in the Picturesque movement, showing influence from the paintings of Claude Lorraine and Poussin. A drawing probably by Nash and now in Sir John Soane's museum shows the house without stacks and with a rebuilt service wing with tower to left. B.o.E., p.116; Terence Davis, The Architecture of John Nash, Studio (1960), Pp.23 and 36-7; J. Summerson, The Life and Work of John Nash. Architect, London (1980), p.42.

Listing NGR: SJ5357708283

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Davis, T, The Architecture of John Nash, (1960), 23, 36-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 116
Summerson, J, The Life and Work of John Nash, (1980), 42

National Grid Reference: SJ 53577 08283


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 06:47:16.

End of official listing