DOMESTIC CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 110 METRES SOUTH OF ASTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1177122
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
15-May-1986
Statutory Address:
DOMESTIC CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 110 METRES SOUTH OF ASTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOMESTIC CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 110 METRES SOUTH OF ASTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177122.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:17:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOMESTIC CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 110 METRES SOUTH OF ASTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oswestry Rural
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32509 27167

Details

SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. ASTON PARK

6/173 Domestic chapel approx. 110m south 8.10.59 of Aston Hall (formerly listed as Domestic Chapel at Aston Hall)

GV II

Domestic chapel, now ruinous. 1742 with late C19 alterations. For Thomas Lloyd. Red brick with sandstone ashlar dressings, formerly with plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with west tower, north porch 1887. Tower: in 3 stages with square corner pilasters, moulded cornice, parapet and urn finials to corners; 4 round-headed windows with Y-tracery to belfry and circular windows, each with 4 projecting keystones, to second stage on west and south sides and to first stage on north and south; round-arched west doorway has raised keystones and imposts and panelled door. Nave and chancel in 4 bays also with square corner pilasters and moulded eaves cornice; round-arched windows with Gibbs surrounds and inserted late C19 Gothic tracery; porch in third bay from west on north has C18 pedimented doorway moved out from original position. Interior: access not possible at time of re-survey (July 1985) but seen to contain C19 stained glass and what appear to be original fittings. The chapel replaced an earlier one, built in 1594, of which no trace now remains. B.O.E., p. 65, D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire Part 9 (1908) pp. 780-1.

Listing NGR: SJ3250927167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255649
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 780-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 65

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].