CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177258
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 15:49:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Leebotwood
National Grid Reference:
SO 47061 98673

Details

SO 4698-4798 LEEBOTWOOD C.P. LEEBOTWOOD

11/55 Church of St. Mary 13.6.58

- II*

Parish church. C13 with tower and other alterations of 1829. Roughly coursed red and grey sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; C19 slate roof. Nave and chancel in one,with west tower. Tower: 2 stages, with offset to belfry, and plain parapet with string and coping; louvred paired stubby chamfered lancet belfry openings, west window with 3 chamfered lancets of equal height and intersecting leaded tracery, and pointed-arched west doorway with boarded door. Nave and chancel: coved stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end to west with kneelers, coping and cross at apex; south side: pilaster buttress to left; central triple chamfered lancets and pair of chamfered lancets to right, flanking probably C16 moulded Tudor-arched priest's doorway off-centre to right with boarded door; partly blocked C13 chamfered-arched south doorway to left with inserted leaded window; north side: pair of chamfered lancets off-centre to right; east-end: stepped triple chamfered lancets and small C13 chamfered lancet in apex of gable above. Interior: 5-bay roof, mainly C19 but one C17 truss in chancel and C15 moulded arch-braced collar truss with carved dragons in spandrels; pairs of chamfered purlins and elaborately cusped wind braces in one bay forming foiled shape; C19 billet frieze; chamfered tower arch without imposts. Fittings include: west gallery with C16 or C17 roll-moulded beam and C19 balustrade with stick balusters; early C19 three-bay chancel screen between second and third bays with square Tuscan columns and pilasters without entasis; panelled box pews of 1776,ramped up to screen,with H-hinges, names of farms, and some reused C17 fluted panels; early C18 hexagonal wooden pulpit with tall raised and fielded panels and moulded cornice; reader's desk and clerk's pew probably also of 1776; circular stone font of c.1843 with moulded base; late C19 ashlar reredos with carved frieze and pierced cresting; probably early C19 altar rails on 3 sides with stick balusters; side benches to sanctuary. Stained glass: east window of c.1854, probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury. Monuments: fine series of C18 and early C19 monuments to the Corbett family (Longnor Hall q.v.); especially notable is large tablet monument to Sir Uvedale Corbett (d.1701) with gadrooned base, flanking columns, and swan- necked pediment with 2 reclining figures. Medieval wall painting on north wall of nave. A church on the site is first recorded in 1183. The church is notable for the completeness of its C18 and early C19 fittings and monuments. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.104-6; B.0.E., p.164; D.H.S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of'Shropshire, Part 6, p.498.

Listing NGR: SO4706198673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259596
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 498
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 104-106
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 104-106

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08875/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].