This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177683



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Somerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/212 The Old Parsonage



Detached House. Early C17. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables having ornamented finials; no front chimney stacks. Two storeys with attics; west elevation of 6 bays. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with separate labels; bay 1 and 2 have 4 lights below and 3 lights above; bay 3 has 4 lights both levels; bay 5 has two 3 lights; bay 6 has an angled bay with a single 3 light below and a 1+4+1 light above, under a moulded coping masking a flat roof: bay 4 has a projecting porch, with moulded pointed segmental arch with square label, with 3 light window over, above which is a balustered parapet with centre square panel with cross motif and small segmental pediment: left of bay 1 a cambered arched doorway with label. Extensions to rear of earlier C20. Entrance through C17 door; stair incorporates C17 balusters; next room north has C17 panelling said to come from Medwyn, Broad Street (qv), but the cambered arched fireplace and Carolingian overmantel appear original; further cambered arch fireplaces; circular stair in north East corner, and traces of another alongside hall fireplace; otherwise much modified. Apparently built or substantialy modifield by Thomas Preene, 'within 4 years of 1619'. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4934528372

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 49345 28372


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 06:58:07.

End of official listing