CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177703
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:36:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyndon
National Grid Reference:
SK 90733 04421

Details

LYNDON SK 90 SW CHURCH ROAD (South Side)

6/151 Church of St. Martin

14.6.54

GV II*

Church. C13-14, much restored 1866. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston slate and leaded roofs. Stone coped gables and parapet to nave. W tower, nave aisles, chancel, N chancel organ chamber, and S porch. C14/C15 tower of 3 stages. Plinth, W window with C19 stained glass, 4 2-light bell openings with transom and hood moulds, and battlements. Inside, a C13 coffin slab in floor of tower and double chamfered nave arch, the inner arch on corbels. Hood mould and label stops. Both nave arcades of 2 bays, C13/early C14, octagonal piers, double chamfered arches, with hood moulds and single central head stop either side. Clerestory with 3 C19 windows either side and C19 roof. N aisle has 3 C19 windows, opening to organ chamber and remains of stair to rood loft. Organ chamber probably C19. Chancel mainly C19 with coloured tile floor, E window and S door. S aisle has C13 door with hood mould and head stops, and 2 C19 windows. Upper part of S porch C19, lower probably earlier. C12 font, round becoming square at top, on short supports, 3 with attached shafts. Reredos (with sgraffito work) and pulpit of alabaster of 1856. On exterior C18 wall monument on E wall of porch, and another on S wall of chancel to John Freeman, died 1796, a former rector.

Listing NGR: SK9073304421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186990
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11983/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].