Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 11:43:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 44941 99379



3/97 Church of St. Michael 13.6.58 and All Angels

- II

Parish church. 1849-50, by J. P. Harrison, incorporating material from former C12 church. Uncoursed red sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; C19 machine tile roof with ridge cresting. Nave and chancel in one (chancel roof slightly lower) with south porch. C19 buttresses with chamfered offsets, parapeted gable end to east with stone coping and cross at apex; timber framed square bellcote to west with copper-sheathed lower parts, cusped lattice openings, and tented pyramidal copper cap with weathervane. South side: central nave window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery and small chancel window to right of 2 trefoiled round-arched lights; chamfered-arched south doorway to left has boarded door with decorative strap hinges and gabled porch with chamfered archway, moulded plinth, and benches and cobbled floor within. Priest's doorway to right has chamfered reveals, probably C12 lumpy tympanum and boarded door with strap hinges. Two fragments of C12 carved masonry in south wall of chancel. North side: pair of nave windows, each with 2 trefoil-headed lights and small re-set C12 round-arched chancel window to left; north doorway to right with chamfered reveals and probablyC12 lumpy tympanum. Two fragments of C12 carved masonry in north wall of chancel. East end: buttresses flanking large window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, foiled tracery, double-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould. West end: window of 2 cinquefoil headed lights with foilad tracery and returned hoodmould. Interior: 5½ bay roof incorporating old timbers,by William Hill (local joiner and carpenter): hammerbeams on stone corbels with arch-braced collars, pairs of purlins (single over 2-bay chancel) with cusped wind braces; chamfered cambered C19 rood beam with lattice screen consisting of diagonal struts above; chamfered rear arches. Fittings: sanctuary panelled in 1952; altar rails c.1850 by William Hill with saltire crosses; probably late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with raised and fielded panels and stone base ; c.1850 pews incorporating some reused C17 panelling; reused C18 raised and fielded wainscot panelling in nave; possibly C12 oval stone font with plain wooden top; 2 painted benefactors' boards; cast iron safe dated: "T. GLOVER/&/W. ROGERS/WARDENS/1813". Most of the church was rebuilt in 1849-50, except for part of the west wall, the side walls of the porch and a small part of the south wall. Smethcott is now a largely deserted settlement but the church stands in a prominent position at the end of a lane near to the remains of a motte and bailey. V.C.H., Vol. VIII) pp.159-60; B.O.E., p.290; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 6, p.508. -

Listing NGR: SO4494199379


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 508
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 159-60
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 290


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01684/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Morgan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].