CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177814
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 09:12:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Parish:
Appleby Magna
National Grid Reference:
SK 31502 09850

Details

APPLEBY MAGNA CHURCH STREET SK 30 NW (east side) 6/4 Church of St. Michael 24.11.65 II* GV Church, stonework mainly C14. Nave of five bays with identical N and S aisles, N chancel chapel and chancel. tower with angle buttresses with set-offs, bell-openings, battlements, and recessed spire. Slate roof to chancel, rest of lead. Windows have reticulated tracery. W door surround rebuilt. Interior: plaster vaults added and walls stuccoed and painted in 1827. W gallery, 1837, oak front similar in design to contemporary, complete set of box pews. Thus also stone font. Remains of early C19 glass in upper lights of N and S aisle windows. Those of N aisle contain 7 fragments of C14 stained glass whilst those of S aisle contain medallions copying these. In chancel double alabaster recumbent tomb of C14. Wall monuments of C17-C19. E window stained glass signed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, 1879. Pulpit dated 1877. Fine set of C19 wall bracket lamps originally using Colza oil. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK3150209850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05540/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alfred John Dyson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].