PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1177913
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177913.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:21:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Coltishall
National Grid Reference:
TG 27154 19758

Details

TG 2719 COLTISHALL CHURCH STREET (south)

8/18 Parish Church of St. 10.5.61 John the Baptist. (Formerly listed as Church of St. John Baptist.)

G.V. I

Parish church, largely rebuilt in 1865, but with C15 tower, porches and Cll fragments in the north wall. Built of flint with stone dressings. Thatch and lead roof. West tower, north porch, south aisle, south porch, nave, chancel and south vestry. 4 stage tower with diagonal buttresses and flushwork base course. Perpendicular west door with fauna in the spandrels. Flushwork panels each side of the door and frieze above. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and flanked by niches. Traceried square sound hole with hood mould. 2-light belfry openings, with Perpendicular tracery. Battlemented flushwork parapet. North porch with diagonal buttresses, Perpendicular north doorway with attached shafts and spandrel panels. Niche over doorway with pedestal and nodding ogee canopy. 2-light north and east window with rectangular hood moulds and label stops. Rebuilt parapet gable. South porch has diagonal buttresses, south entrance and parapet gable. C19 lean-to on west side of porch next to aisle. 5 bay south aisle with 4 C19 2-light windows and stepped buttresses. North nave wall, at its western end contains Roman tile fragments and 2 double splayed circular windows under the eaves. C19 circular window inserted below them. 4 C19 2-light windows. to east. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Gable kneelers, have carved stone grotesque heads. Evidence that east parapet heightened. Brick wall monument with pediment, dated 1738, on east wall to Jessop Chamberlayn and his wife. Mainly C19 interior. Double, traceried C15 west door to tower. Tower arch with compound mouldings with attached shafts, late C16 tapered twisted balusters to ringing gallery. C14, 4 bay south arcade with quatrefoil piers with fillets and fillets diagonally between the shafts. Rood loft stairs in north nave wall. Piscina with ogee arch in south aisle wall. C13 lancet in south chancel wall. Restored screen based on C15 fragments within it. Triple sedilia with arcade of cusped arches. Square Norma-n font, with blind arcade set on 5 columns. Monument to John Chapman died 1718. Inscribed tablet between Corinthian columns and two putti with entablature topped by an urn. Other C18 monuments to H. Palmer and Henry Smith.

Listing NGR: TG2715419758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228151
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04132/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Laurie A. Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].