CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1177977

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:42:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)

Parish: Sheepy

National Grid Reference: SK 35415 00910

Details

SK 30 SE SHEEPY MAIN STREET (north side), Sibson

1789/4/101 Church of St Botolph

7.11.66 II*

Church. Partly late C13-early C14, but mostly at 1726, restored in 1872. Partly coursed and squared limestone, partly brick with stone dressings. Plain tiled roof West tower entirely of 1726: 3 stages of ashlar with moulded cornice and parapet with urn finials at angles. West door in rusticated architrave, and round arched Y-traceried window in 2nd stage. Oculus in 3rd stage over door, and also in lower stage to north and south. Nave is brick with stone dressings. The 3 roundheaded windows were given geometric tracery in 1872. Parapet. Fabric of chancel is medieval, and the windows have interesting tracery of c1300. One C15 window of31ights south, and a small priests door. Inside, wide nave with queen post roof with collar and bracing. Chancel arch is double chamfered with semi octagonal responds. Chancel screen of1910, tripartite with ogee tracery, in simple, stripped down lines. In the chancel, blocked low-side window to south, and sedilia with cylindrical shafts with ring moulding. Fittings: pews made up from C18 box pews in 1898. Stained glass in chancel SE and NE windows, depicts the Light of the World, the Good Shepherd and Saints Paul and Barnabus in medieval style. In the chancel, stone recumbent effigy of a man holding his heart in his hands, beneath a canopy and a brass, 1532, to John Moore, a priest, with huge outstretched hands and double curved scrolls of text reaching up to a small Christ figure, also with open arms, seated on a rainbow above.

Listing NGR: SK3541500910

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188097

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing