CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178304
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178304.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:38:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Spelthorne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 07700 66593

Details

TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD CHURCH SQUARE Shepperton 3/16 Church of 11/9/51 St. Nicholas

GV II*

Church. Rebuilt in circa 1600 on ruins of older building and employing much old material. Tower added in 1710, restored in C19 with vestry added in 1930's. Sandstone and flint chequerwork rubble in south wall. Coved ashlar eaves. Flint rubble plinths and north walls, dun coloured brick vestries. Plain tiled roofs. Tower to west end with nave and chancel to east, substantial transepts and vestry to south east. Two stage tower, with stone and tile coping to battlements. Diagonal offset angle buttresses to lower stage on west face. Plat band between stages. 1 step,brick-chamfered surround to each opening in each face of upper stage with louvred openings under round arched head. Renewed triangular-head leaded window below on west face. Studded panelled double doors in chamfered and moulded surround with label over and foliage decoration in the spandrels. Further panelled pointed head door in south side approached up a flight of external stairs with wrought iron railings. Late Perpendicular style windows to nave, one rectangular diamond-pane window on south and larger 2-light, cambered-head windows to right. Buttresses to west end of nave, one 2-light window to north under flat head and in chamfered surround. External stairs to C19 door on first floor of north transept providing access to gallery inside. Five-light, North transept window with hood moulding; two-light window in north side of chancel,larger three- light window over tile sill to East. Brick vestry to south side of chancel with wood-framed leaded casement fenestration. Five-light Perpendicular window to south transept. Blocked door to south side nave by west buttress, with hood mould and 4-centre arch. Interior:- Glazed-in lower stage with early C19 gallery, bearing the Royal Arms of 1801-1816, across the front. C19 pews and panelled piers. Ribbed and panelled vaulted roof over nave on moulded wall plates. Three-quarter round piers on octagonal pedestals and with octagonal caps and two-step,chamfered order to transepts. Manor house pew in west side of north transept served by external stair and on thin cast-iron pillars of quatrefoil section. Round capital and octagonal piers to chancel arch; crenellated wall plates with star decorated panelled roof above in chancel. Fittings:- C19 reredos with centre gable flanked by finials over carved and traceried arcades. Timber rood screen across chancel entrance of tall proportions and with double gates to centre. C19 stone font - octagonal bowl with floral boss to centre of four panel ribbing on each face, on panelled octagonal stem. Late C19 pulpit. Monuments:- Early C20 marble and mosaic memorial to Lord Blythswood.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.454. V.C.H. Middlesex - (1962) Vol. III pp.10-12 & ill opp. p.14.

Listing NGR: TQ0770066593

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287987
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1962), 10-12
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00689/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M.A.C. Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].