CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178331
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178331.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:11:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ridlington
National Grid Reference:
SK 84768 02742

Details

RIDLINGTON CHURCH LANE (West Side) SK 8402 and SK 8502 3/1 Church of St Mary and St Andrew (Formerly listed as Church of 10/11/55 St Mary Magdalene) II * Parish church. C13 nave and chancel. C14 tower rebuilt 1903. Rubble, ashlar, tiled roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, west tower, south porch. Heavily restored 1860. South aisle has 2 Decorated 2-light windows. North aisle has 3:2:3 light Decorated windows. Nave clerestory has 3 2-light Perpendicular windows on the north and south walls. Ashlar buttressing and coping. Chancel has one 2-light one 1-light Perpendicular window in south wall, one 1 light Perpendicular window in north wall. 4 light Perpendicular east window. South porch. Western tower with ashlar parapet. 4 2-light bell openings. Interior: arcades,both C13,south one with circular piers and octagonal abaci, the north one with octagonal piers. C13 chancel arch. There is a Norman tympanum, not in situ, on the west wall of the south aisle which is a fragment of the original building. Wall monument with two kneeling figures to James Harrington dated 1613. Wall mounted collection of C19 and earlier musical instruments.

Listing NGR: SK8476802742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187513
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09449/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].