CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178404
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178404.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:49:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Colwall
National Grid Reference:
SO 73902 42309

Details

SO 74 SW COLWALL CP -

3/17 Church of St James

6.3.67

GV II*

Church. C12 with additions by H Woodyer 1865. Grey, brown and red sandstone, tiled roofs. 5 bay nave with south aisle, chancel and vestry by Woodyer, C14 - C15 south west tower in three stages with diagonal buttresses and off-sets. East wall of tower has scars of 3 lancets about 8 feet from the ground reputed once to have contained a statue of a pieta. Timber-framed south porch, probably C17, with ogee-headed wicket-gate. South aisle has restored C13 'Y' tracery and lancets; west nave window is of 3 trefoil headed lights. South entrance has late C13 trumpet capitals with roll moulding over beaded and studded medieval door. Interior: nave of 5 bays with cylindrical columns to C13 south arcade; the 3 western capitals are in grey stone with heads amid stiff-leaves; north arcade is dated 1880. Double collar nave roof, possibly C16, supported by arch-braces and with 2 rows of wind-braces, the lower one cusped on the bottom side. Inserted tie-beam at junction of first and second bay from east is inscribed RM RC/1675 indicating restoration. Font heavily re-cut perhaps C13. Western part of south aisle has 2 sets of wind-braces; C18 hatchment; brass plaque to Elizabeth Harford dated 1590, fragments of late medieval stained glass to head of east window. Pulpit with tester, heavily restored early C17. 3 bay chancel has arch-brace C19 roof, piscina and 'muscular' trefoiled sedile. North aisle: tile in north wall, probably late C13 from Malvern tile works indicating the labour for the month of March; C19 pews inscribed back 'Grocers' School' for local pupils. Wind-brace design to nave roof is very similar to that of the Church of St John, Mathon (qv) which even has a similar but unsigned and undated tie-beam.

Listing NGR: SO7390242309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151417
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07159/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Earle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].