THE RECTORY, ATTACHED ARCHWAY AND REAR YARD WALLS WITH OUTSHUTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1178407
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY, ATTACHED ARCHWAY AND REAR YARD WALLS WITH OUTSHUTS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY, ATTACHED ARCHWAY AND REAR YARD WALLS WITH OUTSHUTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178407.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jun-2020 at 10:46:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY, ATTACHED ARCHWAY AND REAR YARD WALLS WITH OUTSHUTS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Simonburn
National Grid Reference:
NY 87042 73608

Details

SIMONBURN THE GREEN NY 8773 (West side, off) 19/149 The Rectory, 20/10/52 attached archway and rear yard walls with outshuts GV II

Former Rectory now private house; with archway and rear yard walls. Rear wing with possibly re-set doorway dated 1666; 1725 front range built for Rev. Henry Wastell; C19 additions and alterations. Ashlar sandstone front and rear wings; squared rubble returns. Graduated green slate roofs and ashlar chimneys. T-plan: front range with addition and archway on right return; of 2 builds at right-angles on rear of front range; yard walls and outshuts on rear and side of wing.

3-storey, 5-bay front has plinth and raised quoins. Segmental-headed windows have surrounds and aprons with banded rustication. Central pair of 3-panel doors and 3-pane overlight. 8-pane sashes with thick glazing bars on first floor; replaced 12-pane sashes elsewhere. Steep hipped roof with swept eaves. 2 stacks rise from rear wall. C19 stone bay window on left return. Single- storey, 2-bay addition with pitched roof and corniced stack and section of flat-coped wall with elliptical archway on right return. Rear wing: 2-storey, 3-bay section has horse-mounting block, replaced sashes and a round-arched stair window; lower 2-storey, 2-bay section incorporates a moulded Tudor-arched doorway with Latin inscription to Rev. Major Allgood and date 1666. Flat-coped yard walls with quadrant ramp on side of rear section. 3 linked single-storey outshuts across rear.

Interior greatly altered in C19. Front range: 2, 4 and 6-panel doors in architraves; 3-panel internal window shutters; several small chamfered stone fireplaces on top floor. Open-well staircase, of 3 flights plus landing rail, in rear wing has ramped handrail on stick balusters.

Listing NGR: NY8704273608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240833
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/11481/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top