CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178419
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HAWTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178419.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:44:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HAWTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Cotham
National Grid Reference:
SK 79424 47616

Details

SK 74 NE COTHAM HAWTON ROAD (west side)

5/21 Church of St. Michael 16-1-67 G.V. II*

Parish Church, disused. C12, C14, C15, reduced in size, probably in C18, partly rebuilt c.1832, turret erected 1890. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roof with stone coped gables, that to the east being moulded either side of the ridge and at the base. The turret has an ashlar and lead base with timber supporting the roof and damaged weather vane. Nave and chancel under single roof, west turret with pyramidal roof, south porch. The church is set on a shallow plinth and is buttressed. The west wall has a 2-light window with cusping and triangular head. To the north of the south buttress is a small ashlar, brick and tile lean-to with wooden door. To the west of the north wall are two 3-light windows with cusping, triangular heads and hood moulds over. The east wall has an arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, having a centre circle under the apex which contains 3 trefoils. There is a hood mould with gauged coursed rubble over. The south wall has 4 arched windows. The eastern most one has 3 lights with flowing tracery and a hood mould. The off-centre east window has 4 lights with panel tracery, cusping and hood mould. The off-centre west has 3 lights with flowing tracery, quatrefoils and hood mould. The western most window has 3 lights with cusping and is under a triangular arch with hood mould. The ashlar, coursed rubble and pantile porch has a stone coped parapet hiding the roof line. Over the entrance arch is a stone dated 1830. The interior porch doorway has a chamfered arch with hood mould over. The interior has to the east of the door a C14 piscina with cusped arch and crocketed hood mould with a single remaining label stop to the east and carved head as a finial. The west wall has a single corbel flanked by single larger corbels. Above is a small triangular headed opening. There is a C14 octagonal font. To the south wall are 2 C14 monuments, both partly hidden by the wall and raised floor. That to the east is decorated along its sides with lozenges containing shields and has a single column at each corner supporting the top. The second monument has quatrefoils and shields decorating the sides. There is an C18 kingpost roof, with some remains of C18 panelling to the wall.

Listing NGR: SK7942447616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242656
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07417/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].