CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178592
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178592.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:06:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Carlton-on-Trent
National Grid Reference:
SK 79949 63938

Details

SK 76 SE CARLTON-ON-TRENT CHURCH STREET (east side) 4/13 Church of 11-8-61 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. 1851. By G. G. Place. Incorporates C12 south door. Early C14 revival style. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chamfered plinths and eaves, string course, buttressed, coped gables, those to east and south with crosses. All openings have hood moulds with uncarved stops. West tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 4 string courses and eaves band with 8 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 8 crocketed pinnacles. Crocketed spire with 2 tiers of 4 gabled lucarnes, finial and weathercock. First stage has, to west, moulded doorway and to its right, stair light. Above, a double lancet with chamfered and rebated reveal, and another stair light. Second stage has, to west, a single lancet. Third stage has 4 double lancets with rebated reveals. Nave clerestory, 3 bays, has on either side 3 round windows with quatrefoils. North aisle has a single lancet in east and west ends. North side has to east 2 lancets and to west, doorway. South aisle has a single lancet in east and west ends. South side has, to east, 2 lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has on north side a chimney, and to west a double lancet with curvilinear tracery. East end has a 5- light lancet with cusps and intrusive motif. South side has off- centre priest's door, flanked by single triple lancets with spiky intersecting tracery. Vestry to north of chancel, single bay, has to north a single lancet. South porch has south door with rebated and splayed reveal, chamfered and cove-moulded head. Interior has wooden benches and common rafter roof with collars and ashlar pieces. South doorway C12 with chamfered round head and cove and roll moulded outer reveal with shafts with simple moulded bases and capitals. Nave north and south arcades, 3 bays, have C14 style octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Scissor braced pirncipal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. Tower arch, very high, with double chamfered and rebated head, octagonal responds with moulded capitals, and hood mould. Tower chamber has to west, 2 windows with stained glass, C19. North and south aisles have each 4 chamfered stone ribs and plain lean- to roofs. South aisle has east window with stained glass C19, and easternmost window on south side with stained glass, 1924. Chancel arch, very tall, double chamfered and rebated with painted text, hood mould and octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel east end has elaborate glazed tile reredos with flanking tile panels carrying Lord's Prayer and Creed. Above, larger flanking tile panels with Commandments. East window has foliate carved hood mould. All windowshave stained glass, C19. Scissor braced roof with ashlar pieces. Fittings include traceried panelled octagonal timber pulpit on bracketed stem, eggcup font, C17, pierced desk-type lectern, 1936, plain and panelled chamfered benches throughout, 2 pierced clergy desks, 2 carved-back C18 chairs, one dated 1726, chip- carved C17 chest with legs, C19 font with octagonal bowl, base and stem, with bracketed timber cover incorporating crocketed finial. Monuments include Baroque style marble and alabaster war memorial with colonettes, 1918, brass on marble panel, 1881, brasses 1882, 1887 and 4 C20.

Listing NGR: SK7994963938

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242716
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27096

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16295/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].