CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1178832
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BURGOYNES ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178832.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2021 at 05:43:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BURGOYNES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Impington
National Grid Reference:
TL 44786 63218

Details

TL 4463-4563 IMPINGTON BURGOYNES ROAD

15/81 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 31.8.62 Parish Church

I

Parish church. Early C13 nave and tower, upper stages rebuilt C14, and rood stair. South porch C15, chancel rebuilt during restoration of 1878, dated rain water heads. Walls of Barnack limestone with limestone and pebble rubble. Timber framed porch. Plain rile roofs with gable parapets to nave and chancel with cross finials. South elevation: Tower of three stages with Barnack limestone quoins, C15 embattled parapet with corner finials and angle gargoyles, two-centred arched, two-light belfry window. Nave with three original quoins and masked corbels. Two, three-light cinquefoiled windows restored in 1981. Sealed lancet window to west of south porch. South porch, restored in 1878, timber frames with pierced decorated barge boards, embattled cornice and side lights of three cinquefoil lights. Rebuilt chancel incorporating C12 and C13 carved stones and one shaft and capital with carved head in angle and wall arcade. Incised mass dial in buttress of south wall. Interior. Nave with late C15 crown post roof of three bays with moulded tie beams, wall posts and cornice; slender crown posts braced to collar purlin. Tie beam to east cut for C19 chancel arch, and supported on heavy stone corbels. Fine C15 fresco of St Christopher. C16 niche set at angle in window of north wall. Chancel with C19 scissor braced roof, chancel arch raised and widened in 1879. Lower arch, two-centred springing from semi-octagonal shafts with moulded caps. C13 font, octagonal basin on moulded base with octagonal shafts. Pews rebuilt with four, poppy head bench ends. Brass removed from chancel in 1879 'Here lie John Burgoyn Esq and Margaret his wife ....Oct 1505'. Wall memorial to Catherine Houeden 1826 by Gilbert of Camb. Black marble floor slab, Thomas Wiborow, 1669. Cook, J. Hist of Parish and Parish Church p. 23, 1951 Pevsner: Buildings of England. R.C.H.M.: (Camb notes)

Listing NGR: TL4478663218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50629
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cook, J , History of Impington Parish and Parish Church, (1951), 23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00261/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil J. Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].