CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1178850
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178850.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:01:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Syerston
National Grid Reference:
SK 74656 47484

Details

SYERSTON CHURCH LANE SK 74 NW (north side) 5/84 Church of All Saints 16.1.67 II Parish church. C13, C14, thoroughly restored 1896. Dressed coursed rubble. Plain tile roofs. Coped gables with single ridge finial to east gable. Tower, nave and chancel under single roof and south porch. All but the tower buttressed and set on a shallow plinth. C13 low single stage C19 embattled tower with single lancet on the south side and single rectangular stair light above. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 pointed arched lights, hood mould and remains of label stops. North front has a single restored C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a moulded pointed arched blocked doorway with hood mould and human head label stops, a single similar 2 light window and further left a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights. The east end has a single arched C19 3 light window with cusped panel tracery and hood mould. The south wall has 2 restored C14 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a C19 double lancet and further left a single similar restored C14 2 light window. The gabled and coped porch with single ridge cross has a moulded arched entrance, over is a re-set stone inscribed 'W.H.C.V. 1724". There is an inner moulded pointed arched doorway. To the left of the porch is a single similar restored C14 2 light window. Interior. South chancel wall has an arched and cusped piscina. Decorative pulpit dated 1636 with tester, C14 octagonal ashlar font decorated with blind tracery. Credence table dated 1629 is inscribed "This credence table is formed out of old wood taken from the roof Sep 1890". Chair part constructed with C16 bench end. Remaining furniture C19. There is a George III hatchment.

Listing NGR: SK7465647484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242036
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16920/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].