CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1178941
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:17:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 76685 50113

Details

THORPE MAIN STREET SK 75 SE (west side) 3/93 Church of St. Lawrence G.V. II Parish church. C13, restored and rebuilt c.1873. Dressed coursed rubble. Slate roofs. Single decorative iron ridge cross to east end. Tower, nave and chancel under single roof and south porch. Buttressed and set on a chamfered plinth. Restored C13 diagonally buttressed tower of 2 stages with band, parapet and C19 pyramidal roof. The west wall with single lancet. The bell chamber has in the west and south sides single arched openings, with moulded surrounds, the south under a flat arch. In the north side is a single rectangular opening. The north nave has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. The east end has a single arched 3 light C19 window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south buttress here is inscribed W.W.B.T. 1869. The south chancel has a single C19 2 light window with cusped tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a Caernarvon arched doorway with plank door and further left a single arched C19 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The gabled and coped porch has a chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and label stops. Inner chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Interior. Low domestic chamfered archway to tower. South chancel has an ogee arched piscina. In the nave is the remains of a pedestal piscina. Restored C14 font, the C17 cover has 8 slender, open ribs rising from the base to form ogee arches and is topped with a single acorn knob. In the tower is a C17 oak chest with iron fittings. Remaining furniture is C19. Monuments, in the south chancel is a damaged late C14 reclining effigy of the wife of Sir William de Thorpe. On the south chancel wall are 2 metal plaques, to Charles Townsend, 1865 and to Elizabeth Brady, 1709.

Listing NGR: SK7668550113

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242045
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13389/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].