Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178997.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:25:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
North Muskham
National Grid Reference:
SK 79821 58597


SK 75 NE NORTH MUSKHAM MAIN STREET (east side) 7/64 Church of St. Wilfrid 11-8-61 G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Coursed rubble and large dressed stone, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, eaves band with masks and 8 gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet. 4 corner buttresses, single setoff, those to east engaged with aisles. First stage has to west, a cusped ogee headed lancet in square headed reveal with hood mould, and above, a single lancet. Above again, clock. North side has C19 lean-to building with slab roof and door to stokehole. Second stage has 4 C15 cusped head double lancet bell openings with Decorated tracery, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with hood moulds, mask and shield stops. All restored. Nave, 3 bays, has coved eaves, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. On each side, 4 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped four centred arched heads, coved mullions,splayed reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, C15, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, eaves band and crenellated parapet. To west, gabled stone chimney. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, with Barton arms in square panels, and a similar intermediate buttress. North side has to east 2 C15 elliptical headed quadruple lancets with simple panel tracery, coved mullions, coved and chamfered reveals, and hood mould. To west, restored elliptical headed doorway with chamfered reveal and hood mould. East end has restored C15 triple lancet with Tudor arched heads, hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,and crenellated parapet. East end has a C15 triple lancet with coved mullions and reveal and hood mould. South side has to east 2 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, coved mullions and reveals and hood moulds, that to east with mask stops. West end has C16 double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, coved mullion and splayed reveal with triangular head. Chancel, C15, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. To east, a pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs, and on each side a similar intermediate buttress. North side has 2 restored C15 quadruple lancets with elliptical heads and panel tracery and hood moulds with mask stops. East end has C15 quintuple lancet of similar design, with coved mullions, coved reveal, and hood mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door with cove and roll moulded surround and hood mould with mask and foliate stops. Flanked by single quadruple lancets identical to those on north side. South porch, C15, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated parapet and coped gable with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. Pointed south doorway with moulded and rebated surround, round responds with moulded bases and crenellated capitals, splayed outer reveal, and hood mould with mask stops. Interior has stone benches and C15 low pitched roof with reeded arched tie beams. Inner south doorway, C13, with chamfered and rebated head and hood mould, containing C15 plank door, 2 leaves, with strap hinges and C18 latch. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers with altered round bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal east respond has flanking shafts, square bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal west respond has moulded octagonal base and square waterleaf capital. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. South arcade, C15, 3 bays, has 2 unequal-sided octagonal piers running direct into arches, flanking shafts with round bases and octagonal capitals. Splayed and rebated arches with hood moulds. Low pitched C15 roof with moulded arched tie beams on moulded curved brackets. Moulded purlins and foliate bosses. Alternate brackets have figures holding shields. Tower arch has a pair of half-octagonal responds with moulded bases and capitals. C20 timber screen and above, organ case with projecting console filling the arch. North aisle has to west a window with stained glass panels with Barton rebus and to east a window with similar C15 stained glass fragments in the head. East window has stained glass, 1938. East end has to south a C15 plank door to rood loft. C15 lean-to roof on corbels, with moulded principal timbers. South aisle has to east a C20 traceried panelled timber screen. To south, a C20 aumbry and a C13 style piscina. East window has fragments of C15 stained glass with Barton rebus. West window has stained glass c.1913. C15 lean-to roof with wall plate on corbels, chamfered principal timbers and foliate bosses. Chancel arch C14, restored, coved and rebated with hood mould and moulded round responds with moulded bases and capitals. Large, heavily cusped 5-bay screen, partly C15 and C20, with nodding crested canopy forming rood loft. Above,carved and painted rood. Chancel, 2 bays, has east window with stained glass, c.1905. East end has to south a restored C15 piscina with elliptical head. To north, aumbry with C19 Decorated style surround with crocketed pinnacles and ogee finial. C15 style roof, restored, with curved brackets on corbels, moulded timbers and foliate bosses and shields with monograms. Fittings include traceried panelled timber pulpit, C19 lectern on octagonal timber stem, moulded octagonal font on octagonal stem, inscribed 'H B Feb 20 1662 CM RSAC', with timber cover carrying figure on brackets, 1931. Remains of C14 Decorated style oak screen, C17 chip carved chest with legs, C17 moulded oak table with turned legs, late C17 altar rail with panelled newels and turned balusters. Disused eggcup font bowl and C20 timber reredos. C19 linked chairs, C20 oak stalls, incorporating fragments of C15 work and fleur de lys finial. Monuments include truncated rectangular pyramid with incised arrises, on chamfered base, to John Smithe, 1583. Painted alabaster and slate wall monument with drapedincised panel in moulded surround, with apron and above, draped arms, to William Woolhouse, 1664. Inlaid slate tablet, 1822, Classical marble and slate tablet with Egyptian influence, 1827, slate tablet with oval brass cartouche, 1827, Classical marble and slate tablet, 1853, brasses 1874 and 1913. Timber war memorial in gabled cabinet, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK7982058595

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08155/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].