This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1179142



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Southampton

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1981

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. ST MICHAEL'S SQUARE 5239 Church of St Michael (formerly listed as St Michael's Church) SU 4111 3/227 14.7.53


2. This is the only mediaeval parish church remaining intact in central Southampton It dates from circa 1070 when Norman immigrants were settling in this quarter of the town and further work was done in the C12, C13, C14, C15, 1828 and 1872. It was the civic church of Southampton until 1835. Built of ashlar. Base of central tower circa 1070 rest of tower late mediaeval. Nave west wall is Norman but the west was rebuilt in the C14 to C15. North and south aisles and chapels rebuilt and widened in late C14-C15 windows of various dates but mainly C14 to C15. The steeple was added in 1732 as a landmark for shipping. 1828-9 galleries were inserted to design of Francis Goodwin and the aisles were heightened, the north aisle extended, the mediaeval nave arcades replaced and new low-pitched roofs constructed. The galleries were later removed in 1872. Two C13 trefoiled piscinas, one in the north chapel and one against the north wall of the tower. Very fine black Tournai marble font of circa 1170 similar to that in Winchester Cathedral. Two mediaeval lecterns, one early C15 Flemish rescued from Holy Rood Church the other late C15. Tomb with effigy to Chief Justice Sir Richard Lyster (died 1553) who lived nearby at Tudor House, Bugle Street (qv). C18 and C19 tablets. Underneath the church in the north-west corner is a late mediaeval vault which is a scheduled ancient monument.

Listing NGR: SU4190511270

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 41927 11291


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 12:49:48.

End of official listing