CHURCH OF ST WEONARD
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WEONARD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179982.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 05:55:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WEONARD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- St. Weonards
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 49610 24333
SO 42 SE; 5/80
ST WEONARDS CP, Church of St Weonard
Parish church. C13 nave, C16 west tower, south porch, north chapel and north aisle, largely late C19 chancel, restored in 1875 and 1884 when the chancel was extended and vestry added. Square sandstone rubble, sandstone ashlar and stone slate roofs. West tower, three-bay nave, continuous north aisle and north chapel, chancel, south vestry and south porch.
West tower has embattled parapet, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets, three stages each slightly recessed, above dividing moulded strings; first stage has entirely restored C16 style west window of four ogeed cinquefoiled lights set in deep concave reveal under a 2-centred head with label; square-head loop to south side; water-spout to north side (set beneath one at parapet level); second stage has a central chamfered lancet to each cardinal face just above the lower string; top stage has Y-tracery to each of the four belfry openings and waterspouts projecting from the upper strings to the east-centre of the north and south sides and north-centre of the west side. Nave has raised south wall, a C13 trefoiled single light to each side of the south porch and a 2-light late C19 cinquefoiled window with a label next to the east side. Vestry: gable towards the south contains a 3-light cinquefoiled window with label and 4-centred head; 2-light ogeed trefoiled window under a square head to west; south doorway to vestry passage has 2-centred chamfered head, the passage being lit from the east by a 3-light window under a 4-centred head. Chancel has south window of two cinquefoiled ogeed lights under a square head; C16 east window is re-set and has three cinquefoiled lights under a round head with label; the C16 north window is square-headed with two cinquefoiled lights and ball-flower decoration to the lintol. North chapel has 4-light cinquefoiled ogeed east window under a round head with drops to chamfer stops and quatrefoil patterns to each label stop, a feature repeated in two other openings of the north aisle; north wall of north chapel and aisle has from east to west: a 3-light cinquefoiled window under a square head, a similar window but of four lights, north doorway with 4-centred head above which are incised mouldings, a label with quatrefoiled stops and hollow chamfered jambs; a 2-light restored ogeed window with ball-flowers on the lintol, obviously copied from the re-used (?) lintol in the chancel; west window is similar to the east window of the chapel but of three lights and less round-headed. South porch has diagonal buttresses, a chamfered 2-centred outer arch; two trefoiled ogeed lights with square heads, one to each return wall, and pegged collar-rafter roof trusses; south doorway has chamfered jambs and an almost triangular head above which is a small trefoiled niche.
INTERIOR: nave roof is C19 with corbelled ties, arched braces and collars with central struts above; north chapel and aisle have continuous C16 ceiled barrel roof with moulded ribs between moulded wall plates dividing the ceiling into squares; chancel has C19 waggon roof. Chapel arch is 2-centred with two orders, the inner rounded and the outer chamfered. Four-bay nave arcade has octagonal piers and part octagonal responds supporting 2-centred chamfered arches. Early C16 chancel screen has linenfold panels beneath each of two open bays to either side of the restored central entrance with running vine frieze to top rail; similar screens divide the north chapel from south and west, the latter having C14 linenfold panels to its dado. Chancel has trefoiled piscina with 2-centred head, late C17 altar rails and a C17 chair with characteristic arched ornament. North chapel has C17 benches, a dugout chest with heavy hinges and two lids, a cinquefoil-headed piscina without a drain to the south-east, C13 slab with cross-in-circle and a chalice; east window has stained glass depicting the Crucifixion restored in 1875 in memory of Peter Rickards Mynors of Treago (qv). Several wall monuments to the Mynors including brass on side of arch into chancel to Roger Mynors, dated 1684, and their hatchment, praying C16 figure above cinquefoiled niche in north wall at junction of south aisle and chapel. Pulpit is C17, partly restored and seven-parts-octagonal. Font is C15 consisting of octagonal bowl with quatrefoils to each face on octagonal stem and square, probably C19, plinth. West tower: tower arch has jambs with recessed pyramidal chamfer stops at the bottom. South-west doorway to newel has 4-centred head, beneath a square lintol with acanthus and bestial decoration in the spandrels. Royal arms over south door of nave on panel with Semper Eadem.
Listing NGR: SO4960824335
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 227-30
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing