CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1180127
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:38:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wardley
National Grid Reference:
SK 83192 00193

Details

WARDLEY WARDLEY SK 80 SW 1/1 Church of St Botolph 10/11/55 II*

Parish church. Early C13 nave. C14 tower. C14 clerestory. Chancel 1871. Rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and tile roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. South side has one lancet window and one window with plate tracery of c.1250. Also square headed C16 reading light. 3 bay 2 light perpendicular clerestory. C12 windows on either side of porch "thoroughly repaired" in 1861. Heavily buttressed C19 chancel with 2 light "Decorated" south window. South doorway of c.1175 with water leaf carving on capitals. C14 porch with sundial dated 1694. East window with 4 light "Decorated" window. C14 western tower and spire with gabled ashlar lucarnes. One light west window on tower. Plain north side with repeated clerestory only. Interior: aisleless nave. Moulded corbels on nave tower arch. Chancel arch of 1871. C14 roof timbers in nave. C19 barrel organ. Font dated 1797. 2 C19 monumental slabs at west end. Many memorial tablets to Walker and Fludyer families.

Listing NGR: SK8319200193

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187528
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05696/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Yeo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].