SUNBURY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1180231
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
SUNBURY COURT, LOWER HAMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNBURY COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 17:36:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUNBURY COURT, LOWER HAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Spelthorne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11660 69085

Details

TQ 16NW SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD LOWER HAMPTON ROAD Sunbury 4/44 Sunbury Court 11/9/51

GV II*

Country House, now Salvation Army Conference and training centre. Early C18 core, extended in later C18 and with C19 wings. Red brick with whitewashed stucco dressings and hipped slate roofs obscured by balustraded parapet. Original house appears to be encased by end wings and forms the centre range on the south side. Two storeys over basement with multiple stacks to ends and centre. Channelled rustication on basement plinth and end piers; balustraded parapet above with square end newels crowned by urn finials. Entrance front:- five window range with central three under modillioned pediment on 4 giant Ionic pilasters. Three small square sashes to first floor centre bays in lugged architrave surrounds, larger plate sashes on ends, and ground floor, in similar surrounds. Balustraded Doric porte-cochere to ground floor centre approached from either side by curved balustraded ramps. Double doors in moulded surround to centre. South front (facing Lower Sunbury Road):- 7 bay centre range with centre three bays in pedimented break, flanked by projecting three bay end wings. Channelled rustication on end piers of each range, giant Ionic pilaster order to centre three bays with modillioned pediment above. Plate glass sash fenestration, smaller square windows to basement. Central ground floor sash window in place of former entrance with Ionic attached-column surround with vermiculated block rustication, and grotesque keystone-head over. Decorative panel above links to sill of first floor window. East face:- Similar to entrance front but with paired Ionic pilasters either side of centre range and small Doric portico approached up a flight of stone steps with swept balusters and end columns under spherical caps. Interiors:- Staircase Hall:- D-shaped with guilloche frieze and late C18 decoration. Lugged panels to walls and triglyph and floral metope frieze cornice. 5-scroll wrought-iron railing with mahogany banister to stairs. Lugged ceiling panels with gilt bosses above. Broken pediments to door-cases with Ionic pilaster and columns flanking in "Venetian" arrangement. Music Room:- Deep panelled rich gilt ceiling with centre rose. Flower decoration in panels. Gilt wood pier glass mirrors fixed into wall panelling. Scrolled stone fireplace. Dining Room:- broken pediment door case; panelled doors and reveals. Arcadian wall paintings on panels by Swedish painter Elias Martin 1768-1780 with egg and dart lugged plaster surround Grisaille over-door paintings of frolicking cherubs. Mid C19 conference hall with panelled walls, in Gothic style. Trefoil piercing to main roof braces.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.470. BEAUTIES OF ENGLAND & WALES (1816) Vol. X. Part IV.

Listing NGR: TQ1166069085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288016
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 470

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01460/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M.A.C. Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].