SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL LOCKGATE BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1180260
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL LOCKGATE BRIDGE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180260.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 05:10:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL LOCKGATE BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hordley
District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
SJ3681831061

Details

WHITTINGTON C.P. SJ 33 SE 6/138

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (Montgomeryshire Branch)

Lockgate Bridge

II

Hump-backed road bridge. Circa 1796 with minor later alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Red brick with coped parapet terminating in square corner piers. Elliptical arch with projecting keybrick and string course. This section of the Ellesmere Canal, opened in 1796 to link with the Montgomeryshire Canal at Carreghofa, became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1177050. That entry was removed from the List on 14 December 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15 December 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255854
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 170

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/12702/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].