Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1180300

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:07:20.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Bringhurst

National Grid Reference: SP 84127 92150



SP 8492

13/14 Church of St. Nicholas

7.12.66 GV II*

Church. C12-C15, roof dated 1802, and restored 1862. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston and leaded roof. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages with W diagonal buttresses, W doorway with many moulded arch, flat-topped 2-light over tiny 1-lights to SW stair, and 4 2-light bell openings. Above is a moulded string course with central gargoyles, ashlar parapet with crocketted pinnacles and low pyramid roof with weathercock. Double chamfered round arch to nave. 2 bay Late Norman N arcade with single-stepped arches on circular pier. Richly decorated capitals to pier and responds, E respond with carved head. 2 bay S arcade of earlier C13. Slightly pointed single-stepped arches with chamfer on circular pier and responds. Perp clerestory with a 2-light and a 3-light window to S and 2 2-lights to N. 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. N aisle has flat-topped Perp windows. Tablet dated 1707 over N door. C19 double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel has tall 2-light window to N and S and flat-topped 3-light E window. C19 3 bay hammer-beam roof. S aisle has flat-topped Perp windows and small S 1-light. Restored piscina. S porch has archway with rounded single-stepped arch. Single chamfered S doorway. C14 octagonal font. 2 George III Royal Arms, one dated 1814 and double sided. 3 early C19 slate wall monuments. Nave roof inscribed 'W.W. - T.R. 1802'. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP8412792150


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190916

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)

End of official listing