THE MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1180325
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:39:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Watchet
National Grid Reference:
ST0709243443

Details

MARKET STREET 1. 5366 The Market House ST 0743 2/11 12.6.50 II GV 2. 182O, rebuilding of earlier Market House which stood in the centre of Market Street and was demolished in 1805. Repaired and ground floor converted to a museum in 1979. First floor, Holy Cross Chapel (formerly St Decuman's Mission Church). Render, hipped slate roof with square louvred lantern surmounted with weather-vane. Two-storeys. Rectangular on plan. All window and door openings have stone surrounds with imposts, segmental arches and keystones. Elevation to Market Street has 4 windows, 2-light metal casements in wooden frames with diagonal lead glazing bars to first floor. Ground floor has 2 plain boarded doors and two 3-light shop windows. Double external stone staircase at the north-west end, doorway at head of stairs. Small 'lock-up' under stairs. South-east end has single 2-light casement, window with diagonal lead glazing bars and reinstated doorway below; elevation to Nos 27 and 28 Market Street has 2 large 3-light shop windows and 2 doorways with plain boarded doors. Timber bollard at south-east corner of Market House associated with nearby dock slip-way.

Listing NGR: ST0709243443

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264619
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04570/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eddy Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].