CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1180661
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, BURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180661.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:03:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, BURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Lackford
National Grid Reference:
TL 79764 70283

Details

TL 77 SE LACKFORD BURY ROAD

1/66 Church of St. Lawrence 14.7.55

- II*

Church; mediaeval. Flint walls with limestone dressings, gault brick at eaves, parapets and verges. Plain tiled roofs. C14 west tower in 3 stages, mid C14 west window, C16 crenellated brick parapets, C15 belfry openings on 4 sides. Boiler house, vestry and north aisle 1868: small windows with 2-centred heads, flanked by buttresses. East chancel window c.1500, 3 lights, traceried. Lancet window on north and south side of chancel. Nave windows south side: C15 2- light, and large C14 2-light with Y-tracery. South porch early C14; opening has 2-centred arch with polygonal shafts and prominent moulded capital and base; C.20 roof. C15 south door with C19 pine door leaves, a C12 semi-circular door arch visible above internally, restored C19. C15 coupled rafter roof in nave and chancel. Tall C15 tower arch with engaged shafts. North nave arcade late C13. Evidence for former central tower and north chapel; a squint and piscina in north wall has moulded head and shafts on both faces. Broad, unmoulded chancel arch. Chancel north wall recessed for bench and sepulchre, south wall has late C13 sedilia. East window has C19 glass; flanking niche Nave pews plain, 1868. C15 benches with poppy head ends refixed to north aisle wall. Octagonal early C17 pulpit. Octagonal C14 font with foliage in sunk panels.

Listing NGR: TL7976470283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283773
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10033/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Hornish. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].