CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1180738
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180738.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:57:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sydenham
National Grid Reference:
SP 72963 01839

Details

SYDENHAM

1706/12/80 Church of St Mary 18-JUL-63

GV II*



Church. C13; restored 1850 by J. Billing of Reading with lengthening of nave, rebuilding of tower arches, replacement of tower, addition of north transept and vestry. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; weatherboarded spire with a shingle roof. Nave and chancel with central tower. C19 porch with 2-centred archway and doorway; C19 plank door. Lancet windows. Pyramidal spire to right of centre with 2-light louvred opening to each side. Rear; lancet windows to all openings. East end: 3-light intersecting tracery window. West end: paired lancet. Interior: plaster vault to chancel; 2-centred chancel arch. 2-centre crossing-arch. C15 4-bay hammerbeam nave roof with 2 rows of windbraces. 2-bay hammerbeam roof to transept and vestry; piscina to right of crossing-arch; plain round stone font, proabably C12 and decoration cut off. Set into north and south walls of chancel is the rare survival of wooden pulley wheels and corbels of Lenten Veil. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.810-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.125-6).



Listing NGR: SP7296301839

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249094
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 810-812
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 125-126

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12850/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Carl Shillito. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].