Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:11:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 76338 80912


HARPSDEN SU78SE 7/75 Church of St. Margaret 09/02/59 - II Church. C12 with C14 windows. In 1848 Benjamin Ferrey lengthened the nave and added the north tower and aisle. Henry Woodyer restored the chancel in 1879. C20 school to south. Flint with stone dressing and windows; plain tile roof. Nave and chancel with north aisle and tower. Early English style. 4-bay nave. Timber frame gabled porch with plain tile roof and C19 studded door to left. 3-light Perpendicular window and trefoil-headed lancet to left. Tower of 2 stages: single lancet to first stage; 2-light Early English louvred opening to 2nd stage; plain parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with weather vane. 2-light and 3-light lancets to left of tower. Studded plank door to vestry with 2-centred head. East window to chancel of intersecting tracery. South: Four C19 Early English windows to nave, two Early English windows to chancel. C12 round-headed doorway to nave. C20 school building attached to nave. Interior: Romanesque font, round, with fluted decoration and cable-moulding. Reset medieval brasses. C18 queen-post roof to nave. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.634).

Listing NGR: SU7633880912


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 634


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00903/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rolf Richardson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].