This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1181202



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rotherfield Greys

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247143

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ROTHERFIELD GREYS SU78SW 6/121 Greys Court 24/10/51 (Formerly listed as Greys Court including Batchelors Hall, the Well House and Towers NE, NW and SW of house) GV I

Country House. C14 with late C16 front, C18 interiors, C19 and C20 alterations. Flint with brick banding, especially to cross-gables: plain old tile roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plan with wing to rear. 2 storeys and attic; 3-bay range. Central studded door with plain stone arched surround, flanked by C19 2-light stone mullioned windows. C20 stone mullioned and transom windows of 5 lights to left and right. 2 stone cross-windows with flattened arches to top lights to centre first floor. 3-light stone mullion and transom windows with flattened arches to left and right on first floor. Single casement windows to left and right of centre. 3 parapeted cross gables to roof with one 2-light mullioned window to each cross gable. Right return: Half oval 2-storey stone bay to left; rusticated to ground floor, ashlar above with crenellated parapet. 3 round-headed sashes to each floor. Three 12-pane sashes with Gibbs surrounds to ground floor right. Three 6-pane sashes with shouldered architraves to first floor. Single 6-pane sash with shouldered architrave to cross gable to right. Left return: Gabled brick porch, probably C17 with 2 round brick arches to ground floor and brick oriel window to first floor with stone mullion and transom window. 4-light mullioned window to ground-floor right. C17 panel tracery window to first floor right with 3-light mullioned window to gable above. Rear: Irregular projections of various dates; irregular fenestration; gabled roof. Interior: Central hall to front, square plan with patterned stone floor; round-headed panelled double doors to staircase hall flanked by single doric pilasters to wood surround, with glazed niches to left and right. Plaster-work ceiling with eagles bearing palms, in relief, to corners. Dining room to left of hall has Georgian fireplace and bracketted cornice to ceiling. Drawing room to right of hall: Fine rococo plaster work, probably by Thomas Roberts of Oxford, circa 1750, with swags of fruit and flowers to walls; conch shells with fruit and flowers to spandrels of bay window; bracketted cornice to ceiling; good contemporary fireplace of key-pattern frieze and entablature supported on Ionic columns. Staircase hall, behind entrance hall, has C18 pine dog-leg staircase with landing. Kitchen, to left of staircase hall has blocked probably C15 fireplace and a walled-up buttery doorway flanked by 2 recesses. First floor: Main bedroom, above dining room, has C15/16 fireplace and ornamental plaster ceiling and frieze. History: Licence to crenellate granted in 1347 to Sir John de Grey. Passed to the Crown in 1485. Granted to Robert Knollys by letters patent in 1514. Sold to William Paul of Braywick in Berkshire in 1686. William's daughter Catherine married Sir William Stapleton Bt. in 1724. Alterations to Drawing Room, possibly by Henry Keene of Oxford. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.735-7; Greys Court, National Trust Guidebook, 1982).

Listing NGR: SU7248283417

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Greys Court, (1982)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 735-7
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SU 72482 83417


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 10:28:59.

End of official listing