HILLS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1181396
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1978
Statutory Address:
HILLS FARMHOUSE, BURY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181396.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 15:47:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
HILLS FARMHOUSE, BURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Lawshall
National Grid Reference:
TL 85602 55487

Details

LAWSHALL

922/2/290 BURY ROAD 09-FEB-78 HILLS FARMHOUSE

II Dwelling of C16 with C17, C18 and C20 alterations, two storeys and attics with a central chimney stack.

MATERIALS Timber framed and plastered with a thatched gable roof.

PLAN Rectangular.

EXTERIOR The west elevation has an off-centre external brick stack, probably of C18 date, and a small out-shot at the ground floor. There are C20 casements to the first and attic floors. The north elevation has a brick plinth of C16 date but is otherwise plain with C20 casements to the ground and first floors. The east elevation has a late C20 single storey extension with tile-covered pent roof. The gable above has weatherboard cladding and C20 casements at first and attic floors. The south elevation has a single storey extension with tile covered gable roof and weatherboard cladding. At the east end is a diamond mullion window with applied fillets.

INTERIOR The ground floor has a two room plan. Both rooms have close studded walls, intact sole plate and midrails, and substantial wall posts, some jowled. The floor frames have transverse chamfered and stopped bridging beams. Some of the framing has been ruddled. A large C17 stack has been inserted, with an inglenook fireplace in the east room with a substantial bressumer, bread oven and possible curing oven. The north wall frame has two blocked door openings which may be later, and there is a central entrance on the south wall frame. The latter may be the entrance to a screens passage.There are a number of exposed diamond mullion window openings, some with shutter grooves, and there is a former stair opening in the floor frame of the west room. A C20 stair to the left of the stack leads to the first floor where two tie beams with cranked arch bracing are evident. All rooms have intact wall framing including the wall plate and studwork. However, the position of the base of the rafters suggests that the roof pitch has been altered. The axial bridging beam of thinner scantling is C18. The roof structure comprises coupled common rafters with collars and clasped purlins. It is suggested that some of the rafters are smoke-blackened. The west gable end framing has been replaced.

HISTORY The building is represented on a map of the village of Lawshall dated 1611 and referred to in documentary sources of 1547 and 1567 as a freehold farmhouse called 'Hille's'. The earliest building is thought to be a two-bay dwelling with a screens passage, the roof structure and passage of which was adapted following the insertion of a chimney probably in the C17. Other interior remodelling occurred at the same time, including the insertion of an internal staircase next to the stack. In the C18 a second floor was inserted in the roof to create an attic and a half-hip was replaced with a gable at the west elevation. There are C20 additions to the east and south.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION Hills Farmhouse, Bury Road, Lawshall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a building of the C16 or earlier which retains a significant proportion of the original fabric and important interior features of the C16 and C17. * It displays the evolution of vernacular building forms from the medieval to post-medieval period. * The building is mentioned in documents of the C16 and depicted in cartographic evidence of the early C17.

Listing NGR: TL8560155488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278082
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15927/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].