CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181491
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPSWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181491.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:06:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPSWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Gosbeck
National Grid Reference:
TM 15062 55622

Details

GOSBECK IPSWICH ROAD TM 15 NE 4/64 Church of St Mary 9.12.55

- II*

Parish church, medieval, with restorations of 1848 and 1883. Nave, chancel, south-west tower/porch and vestry to north of chancel. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. Machine-made plaintiles with parapet gable at chancel, concrete plaintiles to nave. Long-and-short quoining to east end of nave, possibly of C10 or Cll. The plain round-arched north doorway and nearby slit window are perhaps contemporary. Late C14 or early C15 tower with moulded doorway, and ogee-headed and labelled niche above; the inner doorway has its original plank door; the parapets have flushwork panelling and pinnacles. Restored mid C14 west window with net-tracery. A plaque on the north external wall states "The Vestry and Chancel rebuilt 1848"; the former was rebuilt using a Y-traceried C14 window, and medieval rubble walling remains at the base. The chancel is in the style of c.1300, but perhaps entirely rebuilt. Nave roof of c.1500 or early C16: 5 bays of simple moulded hammerbeam trusses with arch-braced collars and short kingposts. At the base of the tower is an iron-bound door. Five panels with painted tracery from a C15 rood screen are mounted on the chancel wall. An arcaded oak pulpit of c.1620, almost reconstructed 1883.

Listing NGR: TM1506255622

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279683
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/14965/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Maxwell Newport. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].