CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181520
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:44:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
North Bradley
National Grid Reference:
ST 85460 54903

Details

NORTH BRADLEY CHURCH LANE ST 85 SE (north side) 4/195 Church of St Nicholas 11.9.68 GV II* Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1861 by T.H. Wyatt. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Plan: nave with aisles, chancel and north and south chapels, south porch and west tower. Gabled C15 porch has diagonal buttresses, moulded pointed doorway with sundial over inscribed TEMPUS FUGIT, Rawlings of Bradford of Avon, 1777. C18 memorial tablet hung on west wall. Restored south aisle has 3-light square-headed window with cusped lights to left of porch, nave clerestory has three 2-light windows with cusped lights. C15 south chapel has three large Tudor-arched 4-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses with offsets, planked door to right and 5-light east window, battlemented parapet. Chancel has C19 square-headed south window, diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light east window in C14 style. Gabled north vestry has square-headed cusped windows, Tudor-arched west door and stone stack with offsets. North chapel has pair of fine C15 square- headed windows to east and north, north bay breaks forward with panels containing shields in quatrefoils, diagonal buttresses with crocketed finials, cornice with gargoyles to battlemented parapet. North aisle has two restored 2-light windows, three 2-light square- headed windows to clerestory. Three-stage Perpendicular tower with set-back buttresses and string courses, gilded circular clockface to north side, west side has moulded pointed doorway with C19 doors and square hoodmould, 3-light Perpendicular window over, middle stage has arrowloop, bellstage has 3-light pointed Perpendicular window with ornamental pierced louvres to all sides, polygonal stair turret with pointed doorway up C19 stone steps on south east corner, cornice and battlemented parapet. Interior: Porch has stone benches, collar rafter roof. Nave has C19 three-bay tie-beam roof with cusped vertical struts, plainer trusses to half-bays. Tall pointed tower arch partly filled by C20 organ gallery. C19 three-bay arcades in C13 style with cylindrical piers and pointed arches, lean-to C19 aisle roofs. North chapel, a memorial to Emma, mother of Archbishop John Stafford of Canterbury who died 1446, has fine moulded rib-panelled ceiling with quatrefoils with carved floral designs, cusped pointed piscina on south wall, coffin lid below north window with quatrefoil panels to front, blind traceried window reveals, lid has incised figure of a woman. South chapel, also C15, has moulded rib-panelled ceiling, collection of C18 wall tablets; good rococo marble with egg and dart mouldings and richly carved floral decoration to Henry Long died 1727, attributed to Ford, Baroque marble with twisted columns to cornice to urn, to William Trenchard died 1733. Wide Tudor- arched opening between chancel and south chapel formerly housed organ. Chancel has C19 moulded pointed chancel arch and scissor rafter roof, 2-seat C19 sedilia in Perpendicular-arched recess. Fittings: cast-iron and wooden C19 communion rail, C15-style stone panelled reredos, polychrome tiled floor in chancel. C18 brass candelabra in chancel and chapels. C17 polygonal carved wooden pulpit reset on C19 stone plinth. Octagonal Perpendicular font with symbols of the Passion in cusped panels, C19 font cover. Charity board in north aisle records 1787 gift by Rachel Long. Stained glass in south chancel window by T.R. Lamont in memory of his wives Mary and Bessie, 1880s. Marble tablet over pulpit to Rev Charles Daubeny died 1827, founder of Daubeny Almshouses (q.v.), signed by Reeves of Bath. N. Pevsner, The Buldings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8546054903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313834
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07188/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John O'Reilly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].