CHURCH OF ST AGATHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181581
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AGATHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181581.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:31:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
National Grid Reference:
SU 57803 90804

Details

BRIGHTWELL CUM SOTWELL THE STREET SU5790 (South side) Brightwell 5/33 Church of St. Agatha 14/06/63 GV II* Church. C12 nave; early C14 chancel and aisles; tower rebuilt c.1797; nave ceiled c.1815; church restored in 1858 and 1884; organ chamber added c.1903. Coursed limestone rubble to chancel; pebbledash, probably on limestone rubble to aisle and porch; uncoursed limestone rubble to clerestory; grey brick with red brick dressings to tower; Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Studded plank door with wrought iron hinges to porch at right of aisle. Porch has stone benches to each side. Two 2-light geometrical tracery windows to aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows with trefoil lights and hood moulds to clerestory. Plank door with wrought iron hinges to organ chamber at right of chancel. 2-light geometrical tracery window to chancel. Tower of 3 stages to right with flat brick band between each stage. Round-topped louvred openings having wood Y-tracery to tops and round-arched brick heads with keystones and stone imposts to each side of top stage. Plain parapet to roof of tower. Rear: C19 restored Romanesque doorway with plank door to centre of aisle. Moulded round-arched doorway with capitals to missing columns. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to left and right of aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows wih trefoil lights and hood moulds to clerestory. 2-light geometrical tracery to left of chancel. 3-light reticulated tracery window to right return of aisle. C19 3-light plate tracery window to east end of chancel, Interior; stone spiral roof stairs to left of chancel arch. C15 collar braced roof to chancel. C15 lean-to roof to north aisle. C19 lean-to roof to south aisle. Ogee-headed C14 piscina and sedilia to right of chancel. Moulded beam with angle braces to chancel arch. South arcade of three 2-centred arches on round piers. North arcade of three 2-centred arches on octagonal piers. C19 font and pulpit. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol,III, 1923, p.468-70; Buildings of England; Berkshire, 1966, p.102.

Listing NGR: SU5780390804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249191
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 468-70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 102

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06890/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].