CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181895
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181895.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Ash
National Grid Reference:
TM 11499 70423

Details

STOKE ASH CHURCH LANE TM 17 SW 1/79 Church of All Saints 29.7.55 -- II* Parish church. Medieval, restored 1868. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings and a roof of concrete plaintiles. Red brick porch with clay plaintiles. Late C14 square tower with embattled parapet; 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west. Moulded west doorway with original doors; above is a renewed 2-light window and a small trefoil-headed window at ringing chamber level. 2-light belfry openings. Beneath the parapet is a string course with central gargoyles to north and south. Nave has late C12 core: simple north and south doorways have rounded heads. To north west, a restored 3-light early C14 window; the other windows, of 2 lights, in Perpendicular style, are largely renewed. Early C16 porch: moulded entrance arch with shafted jambs, over which is a cinquefoil-headed niche; restored arch-braced roof, substantially original. Chancel has C12 origins: north wall has coursed rubble and a round-arched Priest's doorway. Early C14 north window with 3 graduated cusped lancets, 2 renewed C15 south windows. Renewed 3-light east window in Decorated style. Interior. Trussed rafter roof over nave with scissor-braced collars, C14 in origin with some later replacement and possibly reconstruction. C15 arched-braced chancel roof in 3 bays, with short king-posts above the collars. All the principal components are moulded, the collars and wallplates also embattled. Rafters renewed C19. No chancel arch. Tall narrow tower arch. Original door to tower stair. Rood stair in north east nave. Plain niche for piscina with drop-sill sedilia adjacent. C14 or C15 octagonal font on chamfered square shaft. Early C17 carved pulpit. Benches of 1868. In north sanctuary, 2 early C18 tablets to members of Bedingfield family. Over south doorway are the Arms of William IV, dated 1836.

Listing NGR: TM1149970423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281664
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10673/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward Erbes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].