This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1182026



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cuxham with Easington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




Mill and millhouse. Mid C18, possible earlier origins. Flemish bond brick with flared headers; gabled old tile roof; brick ridge stack. 4-unit plan. 2 storeys; 4-window range of scattered fenestration. Segmental arches over 2-panelled stable door and C20 doors in outer bays. Segmental arch over 2-light casement to right; flat brick arches and timber lintels over 2-light casements including 2 leaded casements to left. Left gable wall has plank loft door to granary. 2-storey rear block of coursed chalk rubble with brick dressings, gabled old tile roof and brick lateral stack. Interior: iron overshot wheel to left of central entry. Round-arched fireplace in rear right room. Winder stairs at junction with rear wing. Old purlins in roof. The rear block may be an earlier mill building. The mill on this site was one of 3 Cuxham mills mentioned in 1086, and was given to the Prior of Wallingford before Merton College, Oxford, acquired the manor in 1268-71. (P.D.A. Harvey, A Medieval Oxfordshire Village, Cuxham, 1240-1400, 1965).

Listing NGR: SU6685795298

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harvey, P D A, A Medieval Oxfordshire Village Cuxham 1240-1400, (1965)

National Grid Reference: SU 66861 95293


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2018 at 02:53:44.

End of official listing