Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:26:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Great Ashfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 99558 67787



2/43 Church of All Saints 15.11.54


Parish church, medieval. Restored 1870. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle; south porch. Organ chamber and vestry added c.1870. Random flint rubble: to the north of the chancel is an area of C12 coursed flintwork. The extensive C19 refacing is in rounded uncut flints. Freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs to nave and chancel with parapet gables. Slated roofs to porch and aisle. Some interesting C13 work: mid C13 south nave doorway hoodmoulded with nook shafts; medieval plank door with complete ironmongery. Two 2-light windows in the chancel, one with an outer arch and one without; a small lancet in north wall possibly C12. The aisle was added in mid C14: blocked hoodmoulded north doorway with one grotesque corbel remaining; square- headed 2-light windows. Tower also mid or late C14: parapetted roof with boarded spirelet. A frieze of flushwork arcading at the base: hoodmoulded west doorway and a dagger-traceried window above. Late C15 nave windows (2 restored, one decayed). Good early C16 porch of red brick with arcaded panels on the south facade: these have trefoiled terracotta heads and flushwork infilling. Labelled and hoodmoulded doorway with shafts, all in moulded brick, and the image niche above is in terracotta. Side windows with two trefoil-headed lights, and roof with archbraced principals rising from shafts. The base of a pillar stoup survives. Interior: Mid C14 nave arcade in 4 bays: 4 clustered polygonal shafts with moulded capitals supporting arches chamfered in 2 orders. Rood loft stairs with two square-headed doorways. An ogee- headed C14 image niche beside the east chancel window. Nave roof of c.1500: 7 bays of collarbeam trusses, archbraces to high collars and short king posts. Moulded and embattled cornice. Plain lean-to aisle roof also of c.1500. C19 chancel roof, a copy of that in the nave but with more elaborate cornice. C15 chancel arch. Mid C14 simply moulded octagonal font with plain bowl. Some fine C15 poppyhead benches in the nave with various creatures seated on the buttresses: two sets of 4, one other in the aisle, and several ends reused in C19 benches. A fine and unusual square pulpit, dated 1619 on the sounding board; much enrichment including arcaded panels and heavy bulbous legs. The sounding board is cantilevered from a crown supported by ramped scrolls. The altar reredos is also arcaded early C17 work. Later C17 altar rails with barley-sugar balusters. 3 painted hatchments in the chancel, and 2 in the nave. 3 marble slabs in the sanctuary floor, to C18 members of the Smith family. ____________________________

Listing NGR: TL9955867787


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/13547/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].