- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- HINTON MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182212 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:28:00.
- Statutory Address:
- HINTON MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
- Hinton Waldrist
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 37444 99163
3/110 Hinton Manor
10/11/52 (Formerly listed as The Manor
Manor House, now house. Late C16; refronted and block to rear right added c.1700 by John Loder; c.1830 wing to left heightened c,1860 and c.1830 orangery to right of front. Roughcast, limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; stone stacks. Double-depth plan to main late C16 block. 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay. Consoles to moulded flat hood over C20 door. Flat keyed arches and ashlar quoins to mid C18 sashes, late Clb one-light cavetto-moulded windows to basement. Moulded cornice. Two gabled dormers flank central dormer with segmental head. M-shaped roof; gable end external stacks. 2-storey, 2-bay extension to left, was built c.1830 as one-storey extension with Gothic crenellated parapet, but extra storey added c.1860; roughcast with gabled Welsh slate roof, rear lateral external stack; sashes to front and to canted bay on left side wall; Crenellated parapet adorned orangery of c.1830 to right, with keyed semi-circular arches over windows and gabled glass roof. Right side wall of late C16 block has 2 early C18 sashes, 2 late Cl6 two-light cavetto-moulded stone cross-windows to first floor and similar late Cl6 one-light windows to attic. One-storey block to left side wall has C18 lateral external stack. Early C18 block to rear right: 2 storeys, 4 x 2 bays, roughcast with gabled stone slate roof and stone ashlar gable end stacks. Garden front has keyed stone moulded architraves to early C18 stair-light sash to right, and to left, early C18 sashes symmetrically ordered with central doorway having segmental pediment with broken entablature and frieze carving of putti holding wreath; one-storey, one-bay roughcast block to right, beneath stairlight, has similar blind doorway with tympanum carving. Interior: C18 panelled shutters, 3- and 6-panelled doors. Hall had late Cl6 moulded fireplace with urn stops. To rear left of hall are dog-leg with landing stairs with turned balusters on closed string; keyed semi-circular arch over doorway to hall. Bolection-moulded panelling and early C18 fireplace to room left of hall. Late C16 room to rear of hall has quartered and moulded beams, moulded fireplace with urn stops; early C18 bolection-moulded panelling to inserted passage to left leading to rear right early C18 block, which has C20 stairs in original position to left and early C18 dining roam to right with plaster friezes over doors and windows and pedimented main door to rear. To rear left, in rear wall of late C16 block, is probably reset C14 chamfered pointed doorway. First floor: early C18 bolection-mouled panelling and fireplace over hall; late Cl6 chamfered fireplace to left. Similar panelled rooms to rear of late Cl6 block, with fine rococo fireplace to left and late C16 carved panels and overmantle dated 1662 to right fireplace. Early C18 fireplace to rear right block. Late Cl6 block has collar-truss roof with butt purlins. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.155; N. Davenport, The Honour of St. Valery, 1978, passim).
Listing NGR: SU3744499163
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Davenport, N, The Honour of St Valery, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 155
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing