CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182641
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182641.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:08:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemingstone
National Grid Reference:
TM 14466 53646

Details

HEMINGSTONE CHURCH LANE TM 15 SW 6/119 Church of St Gregory 9.12.55 - I

Parish church, medieval with main features of mid C14 and early C16. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch and vestry. Mainly plastered rubble with freestone dressings. The south-west corner of the nave has prominent long- and-short quoining perhaps of Cll. Plaintiled roofs. Mid C14 north and south moulded doorways to nave The north door is probably of early C16. The tower doorway has a C14 iron-bound door. 3 mid C14 traceried windows, one retains good original glass in the tracery. Plain cusped piscina of C14/C15. Tower built or remodelled in early C16: flushed flintwork, embattled parapets, traceried belfry openings and large west window. Early c16 windows in side walls of nave and chancel, those on the north with much C18 crown glass. Restored C16 east window. North porch of c.1530 in red brick with diaper patterning in burnt headers; good moulded brick detailing to doorway, the image niche above, and the side windows. Roof of coupled rafters without collars, untied. Continuous roof of c.1500 over nave and chancel, of canted construction, without tiebeams; moulded cornice and rood-beam. The southern half of the early C16 roodscreen survives up to dado level. Late C14 octagonal limestone font: the stem is plain, but the bowl intricately carved with crocketed gables and tracery. A tomb-chest in the chancel to William Cantrel (d.1585); pilasters at the base, and an inscription framed by Corinthian columns and entablature, and above are two obelisks and a shell. A small room to north of chancel was added c.1600, now a vestry but of uncertain original purpose: red brick with fragments of original plaster, plain chamfered openings, side purlin roof. 6 painted texts around the walls; another over the north door records repairs in 1773. Two large marble slabs on the outer south wall face: Francis and William Thorne, 1704 and 1718. Two late C18 marble slabs in the chancel floor. Two coats of arms in the vestry (one of William and Mary).

Listing NGR: TM1446653646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279738
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09216/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].