CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182764
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, EARL SOHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182764.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 15:39:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, EARL SOHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Pettaugh
National Grid Reference:
TM 16787 59617

Details

PETTAUGH EARL SOHAM ROAD TM 15 NE 4/130 Church of St Catherine 9.12.55

- II*

Parish church; medieval with restoration of 1861. Nave, chancel, west tower. Organ chamfer and vestry to the north and south porch, are additions possibly of 1861. Random flint rubble, the chancel is plastered. Freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with C19 crested ridge finials; a parapet gable at the east end. A mutilated Norman pillar piscina in the sanctuary; fragments of C13 piscinas were discovered in C20 alterations. Mid C14 tower; west window with grotesque corbels; early C16 rebuilding at upper level with flushwork panelled parapets and a belfry window with lionhead gargoyle on the east side. Chamfered C14 north and south doorways. Dagger-traceried east window with grotesque corbels. North and south nave windows of C14, restored C19. Two early C16 windows to south of chancel. Chancel arch with moulded capitals possibly C17. Good C15 octagonal limestone font with angels and lions around bowl and supporting lions below. Four brasses to C16 members of the Fastolfe family. Four bench-ends with formal poppyheads in the chancel, one dated 1615.

Listing NGR: TM1678759617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279749
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10892/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].