CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182799
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182799.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:13:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Winston
National Grid Reference:
TM 18025 61635

Details

TM 16 SE 1/137

WINSTON CHURCH LANE Church of St Andrew

9.12.55

II* Parish church; medieval with restoration of c.1880. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mainly plastered flint rubble to nave, and flushed C19 flint facing to chancel; freestone dressings. Tower of flint rubble with extensive crude dressings of pink/buff brick; an unusual feature for this early date (probably early C15). Apart from the belfry windows with ashlar Y-tracery, the tower would have been entirely plastered; simple splayed two-centred doorways and windows. Slated nave roof, concrete plain tiled roofs to chancel and porch. Good early C16 porch of red brick with crowstepping, polygonal buttresses, and moulded and labelled doorway with three image niches above; moulded rafters, with arch-braced ridge-piece only. Various two-light windows in nave and chancel, from C14 to early C16: mostly restored C19, but one has C14 grotesque corbel stones. Mid C14 moulded south doorway. Roof of c.1500 over nave and chancel: moulded tie-beams with heavy knee-braces, coupled rafters with soulaces (the moulded crownpost above the chancel is probably a C19 introduction). Good C13 piscina with angle shafts with foliate capitals and cusped trefoiled head. Panelled C18 pulpit on turned clustered legs.

Listing NGR: TM1802561635

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279756
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07972/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr William Todd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].