CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1183024
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183024.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Thurston
National Grid Reference:
TL 92913 65260

Details

TL 96 NW THURSTON CHURCH ROAD

1/142 Church of St Peter 15.11.54

-- II

Parish church, medieval but virtually rebuilt 1861 by J.H. Hakewell following collapse of medieval tower onto nave. Chancel not rebuilt, but restored mid C19. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with freestone dressings: the 1861 work has bands of red brick at springing line of windows and beneath cills, and has flushed flint rubble parapets. Slated roofs with parapet gables to nave and chancel (the latter has graded Westmorland slates); other roofs flat behind parapets. The church had much good mid C14 work at the date of collapse (photographs are in the building), much of which was faithfully restored. A little freestone was reused, but virtually all moulded work is of 1861. Tall 2-light windows in both aisles (several with medieval glass) are set within 5-bay blind arcades, shallow and echoing the nave arcades, which have slender piers with attached half-columnms. Sexfoil and quatrefoil clerestory windows: a plain archbraced collar beam roof of 1861 replaces a C14 crownpost roof with rising braces from tiebeams (aisle roofs are a plain copy of the original). The chancel has large early C15 windows. The medieval vestry has been converted into an organ chamber. Moulded late C14 chancel south doorway. C15 double piscina with credence shelf and stepped triple sedilia, all under 5 boldly-cusped arches with enriched spandrels. Good mid C14 octagonal font with reeded stem and shallow foliate patterns around the bowl. The traceried 8-bay stall-fronts for the choirstalls are of C15 origin: both have poppyhead ends, and 4 further poppyhead ends are incorporated in the C19 stalls. 12 C15 poppyhead benches with traceried ends in the aisles. A worn medieval slab in the south aisle floor, and 4 others of C18/C19 in nave.

Listing NGR: TL9291365260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281245
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16377/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].