BRUISYARD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1183054

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: BRUISYARD HALL, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRUISYARD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 03:41:40.

Location

Statutory Address: BRUISYARD HALL, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Bruisyard

National Grid Reference: TM 33405 66214

Details

TM 36 NW BRUISYARD HALL ROAD

4/22 Bruisyard Hall - 25.10.51. - II*

House; on site of collegiate chantry transferred from Campsea Ash in 1354 and converted to a nunnery of Poor Clares in 1364. Left hand wing incorporates C14-C15 remains of the nunnery; remainder of house early C17, with later alterations. Red brick with some flint and stone admixture and remains of plasterwork; the left hand wing has some flint rubble walling, mainly on the west side where there is a blocked arch; plaintiled roof. A main range with projecting cross wing to the left hand side and 2 wings to the rear. 2 storeys and attics. Almost all the original window openings have been blocked; 6-bay main range (including porch), 2-light and 3-light mullion and transom casement windows. Central 3-storey entrance porch, the upper floors possibly a later addition: octagonal buttresses with pinnacles, crowstepped gable with apex pinnacle; 4-centre arched opening, above which is a stone coat of arms and above the first floor window a large painted sundial; original side windows in upper floor; the roof of the porch is crowned by an open timber bell turret. Within the porch is a doorway with original doorframe, plank door and later rectangular fanlight. The rear wings have the original rusticated plaster window surrounds and gable end stacks corbel led out at first floor level with a single square flue set diamondwise. Interior with some good moulded ground floor beams and carved stone fireplace on the first floor.

Listing NGR: TM3340566214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285260

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing